Page 1 of 853 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 853

By Baja_Costero on Aug 23, 2016 12:40 PM, concerning plant: Agave (Agave 'Sharkskin')

Dark olive green to bluish green hybrid agave to about 3 feet wide, with channeled leaves and few, insignificant marginal spines. Considered to be a natural hybrid between two Mexican species, A. nickelsiae (aka A. ferdinandi-regis, once a variety of A. victoriae-reginae) and A. asperrima. Inherits the rough skin of the latter (an inspiration for the name), the toothless margin of the former, and the slow growth rate of both. Offsets slowly via rhizomes. Enjoys extreme exposure and tolerates extended drought. Very similar to "Sharkskin Shoes", of the same presumed parentage. One common form found in cultivation was collected in Coahuila in 1971.

By Baja_Costero on Aug 23, 2016 11:56 AM, concerning plant: San Diego Barrel Cactus (Ferocactus viridescens)

Barrel cactus from coastal Baja California (south to Bahia San Quintin) and San Diego County with greenish yellow flowers. Often found in rocky soil with a southwestern exposure. Habitat is foggy and mild. This cactus does not grow tall. Usually solitary but can form clumps. Size reaches about 12 inches wide. Young spines may be red to yellow but they fade to grey with age. Fruit is green to red, maturing to light yellow.

By Dutchlady1 on Aug 23, 2016 5:30 AM, concerning plant: Plumeria (Plumeria rubra 'Pomelia palermitana')

Also sometimes referred to as 'Pomelia Tonda', this is an old Sicilian variety.

By anwprods on Aug 23, 2016 4:44 AM, concerning plant: Double Daffodil (Narcissus 'Bridal Crown')

Very healthy narcissus plants. Each year I grow the bulbs from China for Chinese New Year and share the flowers with everyone.

By wildflowers on Aug 22, 2016 11:54 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Ananas Noire')

This was probably my most productive tomato growing this year, with tons of really large fruits. Unfortunately, the flavor wasn't all that impressive for us: kind of one-note sweet with none of the tang or acid that we like in tomatoes. They were juicy. Made most of the tomatoes into a canning sauce. These tomatoes also had very woody stems and large woody core; the fruits had to be cut from the bush.

The best thing about this tomato is how pretty it is to look at.

Not on our favorite list.

By gardengus on Aug 20, 2016 4:06 PM, concerning plant: Sweet Pepper (Capsicum annuum 'Sweet Pickle')

My first year with this pepper. it has been in a pot and has done very well. The colors are a pleasant addition to the table .
The fruits are small (3 inches), but very numerous. I am picking 3-4 peppers a week from one plant and there are still many more to come.
I have not added fertilizer; just good composted soil.
I would grow this pepper again.

By Dutchlady1 on Aug 19, 2016 6:33 PM, concerning plant: Plumeria (Plumeria rubra 'Toba's Fire')

Registered with the Plumeria Society of America under no. # 470 on behalf of the Toba family.

By Paul2032 on Aug 19, 2016 2:35 PM, concerning plant: Hosta (Hosta 'Hottsy Tottsy')

Hottsy Tottsy is a nice, bright golden-yellow, medium-sized hosta. Color stays bright all summer. In my garden it is a moderate grower , Good substance. A nice contrast to other hostas growng nearby. Well worth a spot in a shady garden.

By robynanne on Aug 19, 2016 12:30 PM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Sweet Salad')

Thanks for adding this!
I got this tomato from a 2008 burpee package. It states origin, France, lot 1. No real information beyond that. It is delicious and sweet.

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 17, 2016 9:09 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Mynelle's Starfish')

I really like the bloom on this, but I wasn't all that impressed, overall, this first year. It should be said that most of my plants this year are shorter than they were last year and I'm not entirely certain why, but Mynelle's Starfish was VERY short...maybe 4" tall, and sat tucked away in the foliage so that it was difficult to know when it was blooming. I think it had a total of 2-3 blooms this first year. It didn't set a pod on the bloom I pollinated, but that isn't much to go on. I'll try to come back next year once I've tested its fertility (both ways) to a greater extent.

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 17, 2016 9:03 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Jungle Beauty')

This is a reliably blooming cultivar in my yard, with LOTS of buds that bloom across several weeks. It's extremely dark, but pictures have a hard time capturing its true color. It is nearly black but most photos make it look red. Its throat is green and its bloom is about an average size. Its first year (last year) it had canoe-shaped petals (and splotches?) the first week after planting, but then it improved. This year I don't recall any issue with any of the blooms. It's sunfast (in all-day sun in my yard), and it has nice, thick scapes, good petal substance (kind of waxy or velvety, depending on the weather, it seems), and lots of blooms. It's a keeper.

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 17, 2016 8:46 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Goose Rocks')

Goose Rocks is new to me this year and I was surprised that it bloomed at all. Its petals have a crepe-y texture to them and the blooms overall are a peachy color, but I did notice that today it faded to a light pink with an attractive raspberry-colored dot --- for lack of a better description --- at the ends of the petals and sepals. I'll have to keep an eye on it and see whether it does that again next year. Today was its last bloom. It was milder weather than normal (although sunny most of today with a thunderstorm mid-day), and it's still a new plant that's getting established, so for all of those reasons, I'm not assuming it normally fades unless I see it happen again next year. It does appear to be pollen fertile, but I've yet to determine pod fertility (I've only had a few blooms on it this first year, but none of them set a pod).

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 17, 2016 8:41 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Olallie Kevin')

Olallie Kevin is a little darker than the pictures show, but the pictures aren't too far off. It's a really pretty red color. It didn't bloom the first year in my garden (last year), but that might have been because of the trauma it endured. This year, it flowered well and it has been both pod and pollen fertile! It also doesn't seem to have been impacted by whatever it is that is causing most of my daylilies to be shorter this year; Olallie Kevin was still a pretty decent height.

By Suga on Aug 16, 2016 11:28 PM, concerning plant: Elkhorn Plant (Rhombophyllum dolabriforme)

The Elkhorn is native to South Africa and is a subshrub with yellow flowers. Plant in porous soil with adequate drainage. Bright light with ample air flow. Protect from frost. Hardy to 32 degrees. Water throughly when soil is dry.

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 16, 2016 9:31 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Jim's Pick')

If this isn't the most fragrant daylily I own, it's certainly in the top five. It's scent is so sweet and heavenly, I think I could leave my nose in it all day! It's also a beautiful color, too; difficult to describe, but easy to fall in love with. It has consistently big blooms and fairly consistent coloring, too, which resembles something like a mango sherbet and raspberry sorbet mixed together. It didn't multiply a great deal its first year (maybe expanding from 4 fans to 5?), but it is very fertile, producing a good number of seed pods (large seed pods, at that).

By DogsNDaylilies on Aug 16, 2016 9:26 PM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Libby's Trail')

Something I noticed this year while hybridizing: The blooms are all close enough to one another that it's hard to mark them. I'm not sure how all of the pods on it are going to reach maturity without pushing each other off or squishing into each other so much that each pod can only hold a few seeds. Time will tell, but it is an interesting predicament for the plant. This has been an odd year for my daylilies, most are shorter than last year, so it's possible this is just another symptom of weird weather? Anyway, the plant is still beautiful and a keeper. It has very strong scapes and thick substance. It's also a pretty flower.

By TreeClimber on Aug 16, 2016 8:23 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Reindeer Antlers')

I LOVE the color of this daylily, but it is nearly impossible to catch it correctly with a camera. Deep Ruby Red! It does not fade and holds up well to rain.

Blooms for a very long time, still blooming here in my zone 5 garden on August 16th. Branching is good, but the blooms are tight at the top of each branch, just because there are so many. Usually it's not an issue due to how bloom time is spread out, but to keep it pretty, it should be deadheaded.

I have used its pollen successfully, but haven't been able to set a pod on it and I've tried a LOT.

I have nothing else like it in the garden, and will always grow it. Fabulous.

By Cyclaminist on Aug 16, 2016 1:08 AM, concerning plant: Prairie Dock (Silphium terebinthinaceum var. terebinthinaceum)

Huge sandpapery leaves, very tall smooth flower stems. I have this growing in back of the garage, and it's blooming for the first time.

The other variety of the species, Tansy Dock (Silphium terebinthinaceum var. pinnatifidum) , apparently has leaves with lobed edges, perhaps reminiscent of Compass Plant (Silphium laciniatum) .

By Cyclaminist on Aug 15, 2016 6:49 PM, concerning plant: Purslane (Portulaca oleracea)

A nutritious weed: high in vitamin A, vitamin E, minerals, and omega-3 fatty acids. It has a slightly sour and salty taste, and the leaves have a slimy texture. It is good chopped up in a salad with feta cheese and diced tomatoes. I discard the older stems, because they're fibrous and tough.

By Dutchlady1 on Aug 15, 2016 2:32 PM, concerning plant: Plumeria (Plumeria rubra 'My Valentine')

Leaves are unusually wide.

Page 1 of 853 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 853