Page 1 of 863 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 863

By bootandall on Oct 20, 2016 9:36 PM, concerning plant: Hebe (Veronica peregrina subsp. peregrina)

I submitted this photo as Hebe carnosula or Veronica carnosula if we have to change from Hebe.

it has now become Veronica peregrina subsp. peregrina, which has no likeness to this Hebe.

[ Give a thumbs up | 2 replies ]

By jg0613 on Oct 20, 2016 5:23 PM, concerning plant: Salvia (Salvia 'Alegria Light Pink')

I purchased this Salvia from Flowers by the Sea early in summer. It is one of a few I did not originally plant in the best location. It wasn't getting enough sun. Since I moved it to a sunnier location it has been thriving. The leaves are beautifully textured and the blooms are quite large. Pink is not really one of my favorite colors, but these pink blooms are beautiful with great color saturation. I would describe them as a "rich creamy pink." Mine did not get near the stated height or width, but I believe it easily would have if I had planted it earlier and in the better location. This beauty definitely needs full sun. I plan to grow it again.

By quietyard on Oct 20, 2016 3:53 PM, concerning plant: Mexican Petunia (Ruellia simplex 'Purple Showers')

This plant can become very invasive. It has for me, popping up in numerous potted plants. It has a very tough root that is hard to pull out once it gets going. However, it is a pretty plant. Just be sure you want a lot of them because they will spread all over.

By mellielong on Oct 20, 2016 10:09 AM, concerning plant: Rosary Pea (Abrus precatorius)

This plant came up as a volunteer in front of my house. I waited until it bloomed so I could be sure of an ID, and then I found it was a Category I invasive (the worst), in Florida. So I'm about to go rip it out before it goes to seed. I put up a bird feeder for the first time this year, and I suspect one of the birds brought me the seed. They've also carried other unwanted seeds like Brazilian Pepper into my yard, and you can't blame birds for being birds, but you can be pro-active and get rid of invasive plants in your garden! And so I'm off to do a little weeding!

FYI, as a butterfly gardener, I recognized this was something in the Fabaceae family and thought it might be a host plant I could use. That was a big reason I let it grow until it bloomed. I want to say that I never saw the first caterpillar on it. I was hoping their presence might help lead to an identification. Caterpillars tend to prefer native host plants over non-native, which is another good reason to go native.

By jg0613 on Oct 19, 2016 8:32 AM, concerning plant: Salvia (Salvia 'Van Remsen')

This variety of Salvia guaranitica is a beauty. I purchased this plant from Flowers by the Sea late in spring 2016. It has thrived despite a challenging summer. Still blooming like crazy and should continue till frost. I have no doubt it would have attained the stated height of 6-7 feet had I gotten it in the ground earlier. Also did lose some branches with winds during storms, but really they held up pretty well for the most part. Bloom stalks are plentiful and lots of blooms on each. Blooms are almost iridescent, sometimes looking more blue but other times more lavender/purple, depending on viewing angle and lighting. Hummingbirds definitely love it. Should be perennial for me, but definitely worth growing as an annual.

By RickCorey on Oct 17, 2016 3:47 PM, concerning plant: Radish (Raphanus sativus 'Dragon')

40 DTM. F1
Red cylinder, mild white flesh.
Harvest when 4-5 inches long.
Eat raw or stir-fry mild roots, tops & pods.
Chinese variety.

By RickCorey on Oct 17, 2016 3:37 PM, concerning plant: Spinach (Spinacia oleracea 'Yukon')

Very early: 38 DTM.
F1 Hybrid
Thick fleshy oval leaves.
High Resistance to Downy Mildew 1-12, 14 & 15. Some resistance to: Downy Mildew 13.
Prefers rich, fertile, uniformly moist organic soil and pH 6.5 - 7.5.
Territorial Seeds #SP779

By DonShirer on Oct 17, 2016 12:23 PM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Amish Gold Slicer')

While the AGS tomatoes are great for slicing and salads, the first year I tried them I was disappointed in their yield. But that was in a partly shaded location. This year I moved them to a spot in full sun and the plant is doing much better. Firm flesh, good balanced taste, thin skins. Has a few early fruits, but most come later--it is now middle October and it still has a half-dozen green tomatoes that may beat the frosts. Don't confuse this one with its relative, plain Amish Gold, promoted as a paste tomato.

By sunkissed on Oct 15, 2016 12:12 PM, concerning plant: African Milk Tree (Euphorbia trigona f. rubra)

This plant stayed deeper red on a shady porch, but wasn't growing. I moved it outside where it gets Florida's rain and filtered sun and it grew a good eight inches in just four months. The color is greener on new growth, but seems to turn red as it gets older. I do take it inside when temps dip below 40.

By BetNC on Oct 15, 2016 11:50 AM, concerning plant: Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Celebrity')

The juicy, tasty fruit has earned this variety a permanent place in my container garden, DESPITE the plant's messy, dense, compact growth habit. I had hoped that it would be my first variety to thrive in my climate, but it didn't continue to flower in the heat & humidity of August.

By Bonehead on Oct 14, 2016 8:38 AM, concerning plant: Maidenhair Fern (Adiantum pedatum)

Native in the Pacific NW, found in moist rocky forests, along waterways, and in the spray of waterfalls. The foliage sheds rain, and may be used medicinally for strength and endurance. The name "maidenhair" is indicative of the fine black hair-like stalks, dark root hairs, and its use by native peoples as a hair tonic to bring out golden highlights. It is a delicate fern, very striking in masses. I find that it burns easily if given too much sun. Colonizes slowly.

By Bonehead on Oct 14, 2016 8:24 AM, concerning plant: Yarrow (Achillea millefolium 'Paprika')

I am not a fan of yarrow in general. I find it weedy and too often overrun by grass. I do, however, grow it for its herbal properties. I've tried several cultivars and have settled on this one as my go-to. The bloom color is very striking (many others seem washed out or dirty to me), it clumps up nicely, and it hopefully will spread into a solid mass. If all goes well, I will likely divide this so I have 3 groupings of it among my herbs. Nice bright spot among the mostly purple or yellow flowers of other herbs.

[ Give a thumbs up | 1 reply ]

By Bonehead on Oct 14, 2016 8:11 AM, concerning plant: Japanese Maple (Acer palmatum 'Shindeshojo')

Upright, narrowish, vase-shaped maple. I have to take exception to the database notation that this is the "best red" Japanese maple. Mine is clearly a bright orange, both in the spring and during the summer months. I did wonder whether perhaps my tree was mismarked, but an Internet image search shows both red and orange specimens under this name. Perhaps the soil or location affects the color. Mine is sited on a west-facing slope, with slight morning shade but full afternoon sun, and in general my soil is loamy and acidic. It gets no supplemental watering. In any case, this tree is quite stunning.

By bron on Oct 14, 2016 7:06 AM, concerning plant: Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Double Sunshine')

I was researching the ancestry of DOUBLE SUNSHINE registered as a Brown cultivar 1974. However, its registered date seems wrong given the later dates 1988 1986 and 1977 that are given for registration of its ancestors as per NGA pages and the AHS site.

DOUBLE SUNSHINE 1974 = Double Doubloon × sdlg
DOUBLE DUBLOON 1970 = sdlg x Double Gold ?! 1988 ?!
(( DD offsp incl Twin Classic 1977))
DOUBLE GOLD 1988 = Alpha Double ?!1986 !? x Condilla 1977

The ancestor parents DOUBLE GOLD, ALPHA DOUBLE and CONDILLA appear to have only come into existence after DOUBLE SUNSHINE did.
I have been working myself silly lately, but not that silly methinks ?????

By mjsponies on Oct 12, 2016 5:03 PM, concerning plant: Wax Plant (Hoya campanulata)

This is more of a shrub-type Hoya than a vining one, but I have found it to be trainable on a large hoop or fan trellis. It definitely likes to be on the warmer side and doesn't want to dry out as much as some others. I try to keep it evenly moist, warm, and humid. A little more work, but worth the effort.

By DomehomeDee on Oct 11, 2016 9:11 PM, concerning plant: Honeywort (Cerinthe major 'Rhubarb and Custard')

Received these seeds from the U.K. this summer, so I went ahead and grew a few. They came up great and are sturdier, not as leggy as my Cerinthe major purpurescens. I'm hoping I get a few seeds, although I did start them late. I'm also trying "Yellow Gem," although the flowers came in pink, not yellow at all.

By Australis on Oct 10, 2016 10:45 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Cymbidium x woodlandense)

The RHS Orchid Registry records this as a natural hybrid. The Catalogue of Life lists this as a species (data source is KEW).

By Australis on Oct 10, 2016 10:43 PM, concerning plant: Orchid (Miltonidium x salvadoi)

A natural hybrid of Miltonia spectabilis X Oncidium baueri.

By TBGDN on Oct 9, 2016 4:19 PM, concerning plant: Onion (Allium cepa 'Copra')

This year was good locally for onion crops. Copra is the mainstay in my onion patch, being an all-around good onion for cooking, soups, stews & grilling. What's more, it keeps through the winter when cured and stored properly. I've kept them successfully over winter through March into April. This year produced large, firm onions, with the largest weighing 1 pound 2.8 ounces. I might add they add a nice zingy flavor to grilled burgers.

By eclayne on Oct 9, 2016 3:03 PM, concerning plant: Neoregelia (Neoregelia carolinae 'Caroline Tricolor')

Since Neoregelia carolinae var. tricolor (and f. tricolor) are synonyms of Neoregelia carolinae The Bromeliad Society International, I.C.R.A. for Bromeliads, has granted this plant cultivar status as 'Caroline Tricolor'. The plant does not come true from seed and several clones are commonly propagated so variation should be expected. See the Bromeliad Cultivar Register at for more information.

Page 1 of 863 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 863

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "sunset on summer"