Shows & Events
The Botanic Garden at Smith College
The Botanic Garden at Smith College, in Northampton, Massachusetts, has a number of ongoing and upcoming events, including the following:
-- "Virginia Woolf: A Botanical Perspective" (an exhibit on view through September 30, 2003)
-- "Shaping Plants That Shape the Landscape" (lecture, October 10, 2003)
--"Poetry, Drawing and Creative Journaling" (workshop, October and November)
-- Fall Chrysanthemum Show (November 1 - 16, 2003)
The arboretum boasts 127 acres of gardens, including a rock garden and Japanese garden, so it's worth a visit whether or not you attend an event. Admission to the gardens is free. For more information, call (413) 585-2740 or visit their Web site: http://www.smith.edu/garden/
Control the Spread of West Nile Virus
Below are some precautions you can take to help control the spread of mosquito-borne West Nile Virus.
1. Get rid of all areas of standing water, such as discarded tires and unused plant containers. Empty plant saucers after a rain. Be sure gutters are draining freely.
2. Clean and refill bird baths weekly.
3. Check all house screens and replace loose or damaged ones.
4. Keep the grass mowed around your house to discourage adult mosquitoes.
5. Encourage mosquito-eating bats by providing bat houses.
6. Wear long-sleeved shirts and long pants, and use an insect repellant when outdoors.