Post a reply

Feb 20, 2013 12:28 PM CST
Thread OP
Missouri (Zone 6a)
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Plant Identifier
I'm interested in finding a black daylily. I had Jungle Beauty but it didn't seem to do much for me and had few blooms. It is the closest to black I have had and I liked the flowers. I'd love to find a black one similar that performed better for me and a larger flower would be nice too. Any reccommendations? I couldn't find a thread for black daylilies, if this has already been discussed, would love a link. Thanks!
Feb 20, 2013 1:18 PM CST
Name: Ed
Sulphur, OK (Zone 7a)
Caribbean Frank League is the blackest daylily I have personally seen. It does not increase very fast but I would recommend it. Ed
Feb 20, 2013 1:28 PM CST
Name: Ann
Manhattan, KS (Zone 5b)
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
I don't know if this link works, but I searched for 'black' and found the following thread. I grow Melanie Mason's PINCE NEZ which is really black. Also, MIDNIGHT OIL, CHIEF BLACKHAND. I'm sure I've got others, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

The thread "Black Beauties!" in Daylilies forum
Feb 21, 2013 5:09 AM CST
Name: Fred Manning
Lillian Alabama

Charter ATP Member Region: Gulf Coast I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Amaryllis Region: United States of America Garden Ideas: Level 2
Ponds Hummingbirder Dog Lover Daylilies Container Gardener Butterflies
BUDDY'S BLACK LADY Hall 2007
Thumb of 2013-02-21/spunky1/385a4d
Feb 21, 2013 6:31 AM CST
Name: bb
north of boston on the coast
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Level 1
I was once interested in a Black Daylily as well. But you know what I found when I got some dark ones?

They got lost in the garden. Unless they were up against something light to show the contrast.

Hanson's EXON VALDEZ is dark dark dark

BLACK ICE is a thin dark one.

Thumb of 2013-02-21/lilylady/244a86
Thumb of 2013-02-21/lilylady/f71711

Both are darker than what they show in the photos.

There is another of Curt's that is blackish too. Juli? I can't seem to think of the name at the moment.
Last edited by lilylady Feb 21, 2013 6:33 AM Icon for preview
Feb 21, 2013 6:36 AM CST
Name: Jan
Hustisford, WI
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Cat Lover Daylilies Dog Lover Irises Region: United States of America
Region: Wisconsin
Thumb of 2013-02-21/philljm/86f28a

This is the FFO (ever, in my garden) of Small Carbon Footprint. It is a large flower that bloomed a long time during the extreme heat and drought last summer. It looks blacker than this in real life. I did have a problem with thrips last summer, so this is not the best photo of it. I really loved this daylily and hope it is bigger and even better this season ~Jan
Feb 21, 2013 7:41 AM CST
Name: Juli
Ohio (Zone 6a)
Region: United States of America Charter ATP Member Cottage Gardener Daylilies Garden Photography Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Birds Hummingbirder Butterflies Dog Lover Cat Lover Garden Ideas: Master Level
Bobbie, Sleepy Hollow is the darkest Hanson I have grown. I love it.
Feb 21, 2013 2:32 PM CST
Name: bb
north of boston on the coast
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Ideas: Level 1
That's the one, Juli! Even darker than Exon. Wonderful daylily!

Thumb of 2013-02-21/lilylady/bebe74
Feb 21, 2013 3:53 PM CST
Name: Julie C
Roanoke, VA (Zone 7a)
Daylilies Garden Photography Region: Virginia Photo Contest Winner: 2015 Heucheras Cat Lover
Hummingbirder Clematis Lilies Birds Garden Art Butterflies
Black Falcon Ritual:

The real oldie from June Williams is the blackest here. This is Night Wings.

And Dakar:

Thumb of 2013-02-21/floota/1bf14c

These come to mind as being some of the darkest here!
Feb 21, 2013 4:00 PM CST
Ohio (Zone 6a)
Region: United States of America Charter ATP Member Cottage Gardener Daylilies Garden Photography Enjoys or suffers cold winters
Oh, and just because we had an older thread on dark/purple/black daylilies does not mean we can't have another.... Whistling
Feb 21, 2013 6:55 PM CST
Name: Cynthia (Cindy)
Melvindale, Mi (Zone 5b)
Daylilies Hybridizer Irises Butterflies Charter ATP Member Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Birds Region: Michigan Vegetable Grower Hummingbirder Heucheras Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
Those are lovely!!!
Lighthouse Gardens
Feb 21, 2013 8:06 PM CST
Name: Debra
Garland, TX (NE Dallas suburb) (Zone 8a)
Rescue dogs: Angels with paws needi
Dragonflies Dog Lover Bookworm I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Garden Photography Bee Lover
Plays in the sandbox Butterflies Region: Texas Garden Sages I sent a postcard to Randy! Charter ATP Member
Darkest I have is Killer

Thumb of 2013-02-22/lovemyhouse/b4f5d2
It’s okay to not know all the answers.
Feb 26, 2013 11:26 PM CST
Name: Teresa Felty Barrow
South central KY (Zone 6b)
SONGBIRD GARDENS
Birds Hummingbirder Hybridizer Irises Lilies Peonies
Sempervivums Plant and/or Seed Trader Region: United States of America Vegetable Grower Hostas Heucheras
I love BLK FALCON RITUAL. I have been wanting to add that one for a few years. If you have extra to sale or trade LMK

Teresa
Bee Kind, make the world a better place.
Feb 27, 2013 6:17 AM CST
Melvindale, Mi (Zone 5b)
Daylilies Hybridizer Irises Butterflies Charter ATP Member Million Pollinator Garden Challenge
Birds Region: Michigan Vegetable Grower Hummingbirder Heucheras Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
I wouldn't mind having Black Falcon Ritual either. That is a real nice looking one.
Lighthouse Gardens
Feb 27, 2013 6:44 AM CST
Name: Jan
Hustisford, WI
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Cat Lover Daylilies Dog Lover Irises Region: United States of America
Region: Wisconsin
I agree That is a beautiful daylily. Is there a source for it?
Feb 27, 2013 8:38 AM CST
Ohio (Zone 6a)
I know a couple people that might have some to sell. I will send them emails. Curt Hanson (the hybridizer) might still have it -- but he is off on a trip right now.
Feb 28, 2013 6:48 AM CST
Name: DayliliySquire
In the Heart of Northern Mecca (Zone 5b)
I LOVE Black Falcon Ritual!!!!! It's been in my garden since 2005 and has perform beautifully. Would anyone like a division?

Thumb of 2013-02-28/DaylilySquire/4fae67..............................................................................Thumb of 2013-02-28/DaylilySquire/b1aafd
Feb 28, 2013 6:53 AM CST
Name: DayliliySquire
In the Heart of Northern Mecca (Zone 5b)
PAINT IT BLACK by John Benz is just a little darker than Dakar.

Thumb of 2013-02-28/DaylilySquire/81c60f
Feb 28, 2013 8:12 AM CST
Melvindale, Mi (Zone 5b)
Very nice!!!
Lighthouse Gardens
Feb 28, 2013 9:39 AM CST
Name: Lyle
Phoenix
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!

You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by mcash70 and is called "Queen Ann's Lace"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.