Post a reply

Mar 5, 2013 12:55 PM CST
Thread OP
Name: Ken Ramsey
Vero Beach, FL (Zone 10a)
Bromeliad Vegetable Grower Region: United States of America Tropicals Plumerias Orchids
Region: Mississippi Master Gardener: Mississippi Hummingbirder Cat Lover Composter Seller of Garden Stuff
(Plant) soul-mates. We both enjoy experimenting with what we grow. That's how we learn - trial and error. I have over 200 "baby", 1 1/2 yr old orchids. I have 12-15 plants in trays, all properly labeled and pictured. In one tray the plants will be in 2-3" plastic pots, in another tray they'll be in 2-3" basket-pots, in another tray they'll be in 2-3" clay pots, and in another tray they'll be in 2-3" halved coconut shells. I drill plenty of holes in the coconut shells and clay pots for good drainage/aeration. I want to see what grows the best in what "pot". Thus, I have a dozen or more of these trays. All the plants get the same watering/misting/fertilizing/light/air-movement, so I can rule out these variations being a factor. One day I will know what is the best enviornment for the baby orchid plants to grow in. Fun stuff!

P. S. I discovered orchid plants growing in coconut shells at an orchid farm in Costa Rica. This farm had thousands and thousands of plants, and all the smaller ones had been started in coconut shells and were still growing in them. The larger ones had been moved to pots/baskets. Why use coconut shells there? The owner said his next door neighbor had thousands of coconut trees and when he harvested the coconuts for there pulp/juice, he literally gave the orchid grower the shells for free. I need to find someone in S. Florida that will do that for me! I just need to find the right person and pay for shipment. The orchid grower ONLY grew the orchids for their flowers, and shipped them all over the world. He wouldn't even sell me a single small plant to bring back to the US with me. I thought that was unkind, but hey, he let me tour the whole operation, showed me how they determined the prices on the various flowers, and even let me go into the flower sorting house to see the workers packaging up the orchids. Ken
drdawg (Dr. Kenneth Ramsey)

The reason it's so hard to lose weight when you get up in age is because your body and your fat have become good friends.
Mar 5, 2013 3:49 PM CST
Name: Ursula
Fair Lawn NJ, zone 7a
Orchids Plumerias Cactus and Succulents Region: New Jersey Region: Pennsylvania Native Plants and Wildflowers
Greenhouse Ponds Keeper of Koi Forum moderator Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge) Adeniums
I still have Ornithophora radicans in a coconut shell, by now it walked out of it though. Whenever I buy a coconut I keep the shell and drill holes for drainage and a hanger.
I also use a lot of coconut fiber as potting medium. I like it very much and it is very cheap compared to bark.
Only the members of the Members group may reply to this thread.
  • Started by: drdawg
  • Replies: 1, views: 580
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by Murky and is called "Pink and Yellow Tulips"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.