Seeds forum: Fun seeds from Keith!

Views: 445, Replies: 10 » Jump to the end
Name: Kyla
Richmond, VA (Zone 6b)
Composter Plant Identifier Organic Gardener Herbs Daylilies Sempervivums
Frogs and Toads Container Gardener Cat Lover Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! The WITWIT Badge Winter Sowing
Image
kylaluaz
Jun 25, 2015 9:40 AM CST
I am having fun growing out some of the seeds @keithp2012 has offered and wanted to share some pictures of results.

First were the irradiated marigold seeds which I gathered were irradiated with the same beams used to treat cancer? (I forget exactly). I winter sowed the seeds I received and only one plant resulted. But I love these marigolds!

First the fully open blooms are really gorgeous and quite large. The plant is only starting to flower and is covered with buds. These blooms are over 2 and a half inches in diameter:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/40f898
Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/ff3faa

But even more delightful to me are the first stages of opening, where the petals are all edged in green. Check this out:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/58801f

That's just exquisite, and I wanted to give a shout out to Keith (I already mentioned these in a general gardening thread) and say thank you for sharing them.

Then there are the reisetomates. I dunno, haven't tasted any, they are not ripe yet of course, but they are definitely very cool looking:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/60cc6f
Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/b36caf

I just noticed these fruits today. Hurray!

The reading up I did on these pretty unanimously held that the flavor is not all that such a much, and they are grown as a curiosity -- the sections come apart sort of like an orange, and each section is similar to an individual cherry tomato, sort of.

I am quite intrigued to find out if I have such a strong "meh" reaction to the flavor! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

Keith, thanks for adding these fun plants to my garden! Thank You!

Name: Keith
West Babylon, NY (Zone 7a)
Region: United States of America Winter Sowing Plays in the sandbox Birds Native Plants and Wildflowers Tomato Heads
Vegetable Grower Garden Photography Hybridizer Spiders! Annuals Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
keithp2012
Jun 25, 2015 9:48 AM CST
kylaluaz said:I am having fun growing out some of the seeds @keithp2012 has offered and wanted to share some pictures of results.

First were the irradiated marigold seeds which I gathered were irradiated with the same beams used to treat cancer? (I forget exactly). I winter sowed the seeds I received and only one plant resulted. But I love these marigolds!

First the fully open blooms are really gorgeous and quite large. The plant is only starting to flower and is covered with buds. These blooms are over 2 and a half inches in diameter:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/40f898
Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/ff3faa

But even more delightful to me are the first stages of opening, where the petals are all edged in green. Check this out:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/58801f

That's just exquisite, and I wanted to give a shout out to Keith (I already mentioned these in a general gardening thread) and say thank you for sharing them.

Then there are the reisetomates. I dunno, haven't tasted any, they are not ripe yet of course, but they are definitely very cool looking:

Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/60cc6f
Thumb of 2015-06-25/kylaluaz/b36caf

I just noticed these fruits today. Hurray!

The reading up I did on these pretty unanimously held that the flavor is not all that such a much, and they are grown as a curiosity -- the sections come apart sort of like an orange, and each section is similar to an individual cherry tomato, sort of.

I am quite intrigued to find out if I have such a strong "meh" reaction to the flavor! Hilarious! Hilarious! Hilarious!

Keith, thanks for adding these fun plants to my garden! Thank You!



They are looking great! Thumbs up Your Reistomate seriously has a lot of individual bumps on each tomato which is exactly the trait they are loved for. I describe the favor as mixing lemon with tomato, but I imagine that flavor might make a good Sauce I never tried that.

Name: Allison
NJ (Zone 6a)
Forum moderator Charter ATP Member I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Hummingbirder Region: New Jersey Dog Lover
Seed Starter Container Gardener Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
Onewish1
Jun 28, 2015 3:35 AM CST

Moderator

love marigolds!!! Hurray!
Name: Ronnie
Southeastern PA (Zone 6b)
Morning Glories Garden Photography Region: Pennsylvania Charter ATP Member Orchids Dragonflies
I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! Photo Contest Winner: 2015 Garden Ideas: Level 1 I helped beta test the first seed swap Bookworm Bee Lover
Image
luvsgrtdanes
Jun 28, 2015 5:58 AM CST
I'm a marigold fan too...lots of growth on Keith's seeds just no blooms yet Shrug!
It happens in a flash, but the memory of it last forever. It can not be borrowed or stolen, and it is of no earthly good until it is given away. So if in your hurry you meet someone who is too weary to smile, leave him one of yours, for no one needs a smile quite as much as he who has none to give...

Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Vegetable Grower
Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Charter ATP Member
Image
RickCorey
Jul 13, 2015 7:28 PM CST
Is that the same as "Riesentraube"? German heirloom, "giant bunch of grapes"

OP Mid-Season 80 days
4'-6' tall Indet.
abundant yield
small red grape
full flavor

Those look like irradiated mutants to me, but I know that variety grows that way stably.
Name: Keith
West Babylon, NY (Zone 7a)
Region: United States of America Winter Sowing Plays in the sandbox Birds Native Plants and Wildflowers Tomato Heads
Vegetable Grower Garden Photography Hybridizer Spiders! Annuals Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
keithp2012
Jul 13, 2015 9:13 PM CST
RickCorey said:Is that the same as "Riesentraube"? German heirloom, "giant bunch of grapes"

OP Mid-Season 80 days
4'-6' tall Indet.
abundant yield
small red grape
full flavor

Those look like irradiated mutants to me, but I know that variety grows that way stably.


Mabye they are the same but have two names, your description seems identical except the name.

Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Vegetable Grower
Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Charter ATP Member
Image
RickCorey
Jul 14, 2015 12:49 PM CST
keithp2012 said: Mabye they are the same but have two names, your description seems identical except the name.


That's exactly what I thought, but now that I check, the ATP database has two separate entries:

(Solanum lycopersicum 'Reisetomate')
Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Reisetomate')

and

(Solanum lycopersicum 'Riesentraube')
Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Riesentraube')

(The second one has only a LITTLE bit of fusing together, if any.)

Name: Keith
West Babylon, NY (Zone 7a)
Region: United States of America Winter Sowing Plays in the sandbox Birds Native Plants and Wildflowers Tomato Heads
Vegetable Grower Garden Photography Hybridizer Spiders! Annuals Lover of wildlife (Black bear badge)
keithp2012
Jul 14, 2015 8:04 PM CST
RickCorey said:

That's exactly what I thought, but now that I check, the ATP database has two separate entries:

(Solanum lycopersicum 'Reisetomate')
Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Reisetomate')

and

(Solanum lycopersicum 'Riesentraube')
Tomato (Solanum lycopersicum 'Riesentraube')

(The second one has only a LITTLE bit of fusing together, if any.)



Ok so guess that answers that :)
Name: Kyla
Richmond, VA (Zone 6b)
Composter Plant Identifier Organic Gardener Herbs Daylilies Sempervivums
Frogs and Toads Container Gardener Cat Lover Plant Lover: Loves 'em all! The WITWIT Badge Winter Sowing
Image
kylaluaz
Jul 15, 2015 11:57 AM CST
I just took delivery of the Little Free Library I've posted about in the Seeds forum -- our model also has a Seed Exchange drawer and part of what they sent us was a selection of seeds. Coincidentally, one packet was of Riesentraube -- the picture looks like red cherry tomatoes.

Sadly all the seeds they sent are vegetable seeds and this is not the time to start cucumbers and tomatoes in this part of the world but, seeds will keep. Anyway, interesting, Rick, that you should run into that cultivar info just now.

:)
Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Vegetable Grower
Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Charter ATP Member
Image
RickCorey
Jul 15, 2015 2:04 PM CST
I thought that my seeds WERE the melted-together-looking variety you mentioned. It was only after looking them up that I saw mine were less unusual.

Name: Sandy B.
Ford River, Michigan UP (Zone 4b)
(Zone 4b-maybe 5a)
Charter ATP Member Celebrating Gardening: 2015 I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped beta test the first seed swap Region: United States of America Region: Michigan
Seed Starter Vegetable Grower Birds Butterflies Dog Lover Cat Lover
Image
Weedwhacker
Jul 15, 2015 8:19 PM CST
I don't think they're the same variety... I've grown Riesentraube in the past, and am growing them this year, and in the past there was no fusing whatsoever; they do grow in a bunch, but all individual tomatoes ... and have great flavor !
"Blessed is he who has learned to laugh at himself, for he shall never cease to be entertained."
- John Powell / Cubits.org - A Universe of Communities
/ Share your recipes: Favorite Recipes A-Z cubit
C/F temp conversion / NGA Member Map

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Seeds forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by nativeplantlover and is called "Bumble Veronica Pink"