Wildflowers forum: Legal or illegal to pick michigan wildflower?

Page 1 of 4 • 1 2 3 4
Views: 1378, Replies: 63 » Jump to the end
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 10:00 AM CST
Recently I was driving home from work, and noticed a butterfly weed along the highway. I cannot find any I was driving home from work, and noticed a butterfly weed along the highway. I cannot find any information regarding this question online. Does anyone have any insight regarding this it is not considered an endangered species at all. Thank you
Brenden
Name: Heath
sevierville TN (Zone 7a)
Beekeeper Houseplants Region: Tennessee
Image
plantcollector
Jul 9, 2016 10:08 AM CST
I've got my own rule. If it's in the city or County where they mow the side of the road a lot I will dig it up. But if they don't mow I'll leave it and let mother nature take care of it.
Name: Daniel Erdy
Catawba SC (Zone 7b)
Permaculture Sempervivums Hybridizer Xeriscape Plant and/or Seed Trader Organic Gardener
Bee Lover Daylilies Region: South Carolina Garden Ideas: Level 2 Herbs Region: United States of America
Image
ediblelandscapingsc
Jul 9, 2016 10:11 AM CST
I know I wanted some flowers from the NC mountains but was told it was illegal to pick them or even harvest seeds so I'd say there is a high probability the same rules apply elsewhere.
­čî┐A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered­čî┐
Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Moonhowl
Jul 9, 2016 10:16 AM CST
Hi Brenden here is the "law" for plants in Michigan. The 3rd link is for Asclepias species that are a no-no to pick or dig. Just click on the name for a picture. Hope this helps.


http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12142-33036--...

http://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/data/specialplants.cfm

http://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/explorer/results.cfm
Name: Heath
sevierville TN (Zone 7a)
Beekeeper Houseplants Region: Tennessee
Image
plantcollector
Jul 9, 2016 10:18 AM CST
It is definitely illegal in any state park or National Park to take anything. And it is a federal offense
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 10:42 AM CST
plantcollector said:I've got my own rule. If it's in the city or County where they mow the side of the road a lot I will dig it up. But if they don't mow I'll leave it and let mother nature take care of it.


That's a great standard to go by.
Brenden
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 10:45 AM CST
Moonhowl said:Hi Brenden here is the "law" for plants in Michigan. The 3rd link is for Asclepias species that are a no-no to pick or dig. Just click on the name for a picture. Hope this helps.


http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7-153-10370_12142-33036--...

http://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/data/specialplants.cfm

]http://mnfi.anr.msu.edu/explorer/results.cfm


That third link is a no go. It doesn't have anything.

I went to the first one before I posted this.

The second site has a list. BUT it is not listed
Brenden
Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Moonhowl
Jul 9, 2016 11:07 AM CST
Sorry Brenden. I think you are referring to Asclepias species (milkweed) when you say butterfly weed. There are 4 species of Asclepias growing in Michigan that are "protected".

On the 3rd link, click where it says New Search ,type in Asclepias or milkweed in the scientific or common name space and enter. It will give you a list of the 4 that are protected.
then you can click on the results for each plant for a picture and info.

The result for that looks like this:

All plants and animals named asclepias
4 species
Scientific Name Common Name Taxonomic Group
Asclepias hirtella Tall green milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias ovalifolia Dwarf milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias purpurascens Purple milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias sullivantii Sullivant's milkweed Flowering Plants
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 11:20 AM CST
Moonhowl said:Sorry Brenden. I think you are referring to Asclepias species (milkweed) when you say butterfly weed. There are 4 species of Asclepias growing in Michigan that are "protected".

On the 3rd link, click where it says New Search ,type in Asclepias or milkweed in the scientific or common name space and enter. It will give you a list of the 4 that are protected.
then you can click on the results for each plant for a picture and info.

The result for that looks like this:

All plants and animals named asclepias
4 species
Scientific Name Common Name Taxonomic Group
Asclepias hirtella Tall green milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias ovalifolia Dwarf milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias purpurascens Purple milkweed Flowering Plants
Asclepias sullivantii Sullivant's milkweed Flowering Plants


Yea haha sorry for missing interpretation. Ok, so it's NOT protected. I really want to grab it. It's the only one I have seen. And I make this trip every day for years.

What would you do. I mean we are 100% certain at this point?
Brenden
Name: Jay
Nederland, Texas (Zone 9a)
Region: Texas Region: Gulf Coast Charter ATP Member I helped beta test the first seed swap I helped plan and beta test the plant database. I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database!
Celebrating Gardening: 2015 Plant Identifier Tip Photographer Garden Sages Garden Ideas: Master Level Hibiscus
Image
Horntoad
Jul 9, 2016 11:31 AM CST
bhart90 said:

It's the only one I have seen. And I make this trip every day for years.



You say it's the only one you've seen, so if you take it there will be no more in the future. No one else can enjoy it and it will not be there for the Monarchs that desperately need it. Even though it may not be endangered in a state or global sense, if you have been driving this area for years and it's the only one you have seen then it would seem to be endangered in that locality. Just something to think about.
wildflowersoftexas.com
texasnatureonline.com


Name: Heath
sevierville TN (Zone 7a)
Beekeeper Houseplants Region: Tennessee
Image
plantcollector
Jul 9, 2016 11:54 AM CST
If they are going to mow it over before it sets seeds. I don't see the harm especially if you can grow it and spread seeds to help it come back.
Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Moonhowl
Jul 9, 2016 11:57 AM CST
If I was certain that the highway dept mowed that area, I would try to get a picture to make sure the plant wasn't endangered in any way other than the mowing machines and then collect the plant. Otherwise, I would watch carefully for the seed pods to ripen from green to brown and collect a single pod. They are usually full of seeds, so one would do it. In this link, enter Asclepias and check the box for Michigan. That shows what milkweed plants grow in your state.

http://plants.usda.gov/checklist.html

This was a gift from the birds here

Thumb of 2016-07-09/Moonhowl/71f307 plant


Thumb of 2016-07-09/Moonhowl/37fb67 seeds

Name: Danita
GA (Zone 7b)
Charter ATP Member Forum moderator Hummingbirder Salvias Butterflies Birds
Plant Identifier Vegetable Grower Container Gardener Seed Starter Cat Lover Region: Georgia
Image
Danita
Jul 9, 2016 12:03 PM CST
If it is Asclepias tuberosa (orange flowers) then it would be best to leave it. They have really deep taproots and are almost impossible to dig up without killing. Perhaps you could mark the area somehow and keep an eye out for seeds pods.
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 12:37 PM CST
Danita said:If it is Asclepias tuberosa (orange flowers) then it would be best to leave it. They have really deep taproots and are almost impossible to dig up without killing. Perhaps you could mark the area somehow and keep an eye out for seeds pods.


Absolutely right, never thought of that. Decision made.
Brenden
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 12:38 PM CST
Horntoad said:

You say it's the only one you've seen, so if you take it there will be no more in the future. No one else can enjoy it and it will not be there for the Monarchs that desperately need it. Even though it may not be endangered in a state or global sense, if you have been driving this area for years and it's the only one you have seen then it would seem to be endangered in that locality. Just something to think about.


That's another valid point too horntoad. My only counter is j DO BELIEVE they mow this too. I'll be much more aware when I pass tonight
Brenden
Name: Heath
sevierville TN (Zone 7a)
Beekeeper Houseplants Region: Tennessee
Image
plantcollector
Jul 9, 2016 1:26 PM CST
@Danita you are right about killing the plant when you dig it up. Every one I have try to move one I killed it. So illegal or not I would wait and get the seeds and if it has more than one seed pod just take one.
Name: Christie
43016 (Zone 6b)
Plays in the water.
Amaryllis Roses Annuals Composter Hybridizer Garden Ideas: Level 2
Cat Lover
Image
cwhitt
Jul 9, 2016 3:13 PM CST
You could take a photo of it, send it to Michigan DNR at DNR-LawEnforcement@michigan.gov, and just ask them. Or call them. Then you would know for sure. Also, they might even tell you how you can get some of it for yourself if it illegal to dig it up. Here is a possible contact for you also:
Kevin T. Sayers
State Urban Forestry Coordinator
Michigan Department of Natural Resources
Forest Resources Division
PO Box 30452
Lansing, MI 48909
Phone: 517-284-5898
Fax: 515-373-2443
Email: sayersk@michigan.gov

I tip my hat to you.
Our destiny in life is to discover our gift. Our purpose in life is to give it away.
Name: Brenden Reinhart
Flushing Michigan (Zone 6b)
Image
bhart90
Jul 9, 2016 3:43 PM CST
I emailed dnr a hour ago.

And, the plant is no longer standing.
Brenden
Name: Daniel Erdy
Catawba SC (Zone 7b)
Permaculture Sempervivums Hybridizer Xeriscape Plant and/or Seed Trader Organic Gardener
Bee Lover Daylilies Region: South Carolina Garden Ideas: Level 2 Herbs Region: United States of America
Image
ediblelandscapingsc
Jul 9, 2016 3:51 PM CST
bhart90 said:I emailed dnr a hour ago.

And, the plant is no longer standing.


oh no did they mow it down? Crying Thumbs down
­čî┐A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been discovered­čî┐
Name: Jean
Prairieville, LA (Zone 9a)
Charter ATP Member Plant Identifier The WITWIT Badge Garden Sages Celebrating Gardening: 2015
Image
Moonhowl
Jul 9, 2016 4:32 PM CST
Sighing! Sorry Brenden

Page 1 of 4 • 1 2 3 4

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« Wildflowers forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Dianthus 'Nyewood Cream'"