All Things Gardening forum: Newbee garden: Where're my flowers?

Views: 260, Replies: 12 » Jump to the end
Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 8, 2016 5:42 PM CST
Hi all,

I have a small strip of space where I can do some gardening. Last season, I tried some unplanned plantings and got mixed results. I made the newbee mistake of overcrowding so I got lots of a few types of flowers, and the rest either struggled or just didn't come up. This season, I've done better planning and raised the beds to allow more space for roots. I also had to dig up some nasty-big stones! Had to have help with that one!

I just planted the first 1/3 of the strip, after putting several days into preparing it. I've mapped it out on paper, and have marked each planting with stones so as to not overcrowd. This will also help me to know which come up and which don't so I can decide what to do next season!

I asked some questions in a couple of forums and was asked to post pictures so I'm doing that now. I just have one question left: Since I put three days of work (four if you count the 5 hours a burly man put into digging out the stones) into this small strip, WHERE ARE MY FLOWERS? Shouldn't they be here already? Hilarious!

Back row are lilies (up to 4' height, extended bloom season), front row is Grape Hyacinth, just behind are crocus (local rabbits love them but seem to be repelled by hyacinth), to the far left is Clematis Josephine (to climb and intertwine the deck railing), and to the far right is Lilium Silk Road. The space between the lilies and the crocus is for tulips and narcissus, which I will plant tomorrow!

The picture with the circle of stones around it is my very first Peony--it's Bowl of Beauty. I am really excited about all these beauties. I really hope they'll thrive.

Thumb of 2016-10-08/joannakat/fe5125
Thumb of 2016-10-08/joannakat/8fd1bb
Thumb of 2016-10-08/joannakat/7a07e2
AKA Joey.
Name: Rick Corey
Everett WA 98204 (Zone 8a)
Sunset Zone 5. Koppen Csb. Eco 2f
I helped beta test the first seed swap Plant and/or Seed Trader Seed Starter Region: Pacific Northwest Photo Contest Winner: 2014 Vegetable Grower
Avid Green Pages Reviewer Garden Ideas: Master Level Garden Sages I was one of the first 300 contributors to the plant database! I helped plan and beta test the plant database. Charter ATP Member
Image
RickCorey
Oct 10, 2016 3:54 PM CST
Everyone talks about cultivating plants, and many talk about cultivating the soil.

But the most important thing for any gardener to cultivate is PATIENCE!

And yet more patience. Then more patience.

Then, usually, cultivating enthusiasm for trying again next year. It sounds like you're well underway!

Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 10, 2016 9:06 PM CST
RickCorey said:Everyone talks about cultivating plants, and many talk about cultivating the soil.

But the most important thing for any gardener to cultivate is PATIENCE!

And yet more patience. Then more patience.

Then, usually, cultivating enthusiasm for trying again next year. It sounds like you're well underway!



Thanks Rick, I adore the work. I love the waiting too. Like when I was a kid and the mailman would come. I can't wait to see what happens in the spring! I've done a lot of planting, but never organized anything like I am this year. Thank You!
AKA Joey.
Name: Yardenman
Maryland (Zone 7a)
Image
Yardenman
Oct 11, 2016 3:55 AM CST
It sometimes takes time. But are you planting seeds now? I'm probably not understanding that part.

The lilies should do fine next year. They tend to sit and sulk the 1st year but expand nicely the next. And they are tough plants, so they should survive.

Does that area get at least 6 hours sun? If not, you may need shade-loving plants like impatiens and Coleus. Or caladium bulbs.
Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 11, 2016 6:32 AM CST
Yardenman said:It sometimes takes time. But are you planting seeds now? I'm probably not understanding that part.

The lilies should do fine next year. They tend to sit and sulk the 1st year but expand nicely the next. And they are tough plants, so they should survive.

Does that area get at least 6 hours sun? If not, you may need shade-loving plants like impatiens and Coleus. Or caladium bulbs.


Hey Yardenman,

No seeds in that area, it's all bulbs. I was joking about wondering where the flowers are. I know it's not magic. Actually, it is in a way! You put the bulbs into the ground in the fall, and they survive temperatures and conditions we could not! And in the spring, just like some kind of magic, they come up! Yes, it has 6 - 8 hours of sun, I have lilies, tulips, crucus and narcissus and clematis. I'm very excited to see how they do in the spring.
AKA Joey.
Southeast OK (Zone 7b)
Image
KarenHolt
Oct 14, 2016 7:45 PM CST
Lol. I was thinking, she's got bulbs planted. They won't be here til spring! Thanks for the laugh. :)
Name: Yardenman
Maryland (Zone 7a)
Image
Yardenman
Oct 15, 2016 2:51 AM CST
Spring bulbs are great. If you can keep the voles and squirrels away, they are fabulous. I planted tulips and hyacinths on wire cages last year and they came up great. I'm addig more. Plus 200 more daffodils because nothing bothers THEM!
Southeast OK (Zone 7b)
Image
KarenHolt
Oct 15, 2016 7:29 AM CST
Yardenman - Thank you for the heads up. I did not even think about the voles! Maybe you can give her a few tips for keeping them at bay? I don't have vole problems so I can't be of any help there.
Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 15, 2016 5:22 PM CST
KarenHolt said:Yardenman - Thank you for the heads up. I did not even think about the voles! Maybe you can give her a few tips for keeping them at bay? I don't have vole problems so I can't be of any help there.


Thanks Karen and Yardenman, so far, we (touch wood) don't have any problems with voles, but there are squirrels around so I've planted my tulips inside a ring of narcissus and grape hyacinth. I understand that squirrels don't like either of these. I do have that chipmunk problem but this last season, I used Shake Away and it seemed to do the job of keeping them out of my beds. Now to get her out of her nest! The one for rodents is less effective than the one for rabbits: http://www.critter-repellent.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwp4fABRCer93K...
AKA Joey.
Pennsylvania (Zone 6b)
Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
Cinta
Oct 16, 2016 12:42 AM CST
Rolling on the floor laughing Rolling on the floor laughing @Joan You are funny. I thought you were thinking they should be all blooming now. Yes you are going to have to wait though the winter and dream about all the beautiful flowers next year.

Don't be disappointed if your Clematis and Peony does not bloom next year sometime it takes them 2 yrs to bloom. The first year they bloom will not be heavy but you will get more blooms the following year.

Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 16, 2016 8:26 AM CST
Cinta said: Rolling on the floor laughing Rolling on the floor laughing @Joan You are funny. I thought you were thinking they should be all blooming now. Yes you are going to have to wait though the winter and dream about all the beautiful flowers next year.

Don't be disappointed if your Clematis and Peony does not bloom next year sometime it takes them 2 yrs to bloom. The first year they bloom will not be heavy but you will get more blooms the following year.



Thank you Cinta. Yes, I am dreaming! As long as they're healthy looking, I'll be happy and patient. Thank you for mentioning that they can take as long as 2 years--I would have been wondering after the first. I love the idea of working the soil in the fall and preparing for a beautiful spring flower garden! But what I don't understand is why so many stores stop stocking bags of garden soil in the fall. I can't be the only one preparing garden beds, can I??? However, I'm glad they do because it forced me to go to my favorite nursery to get some of the Coast of Maine products. They make great stuff, far better than the normal things and their prices are nice and low too: http://coastofmaine.com/
AKA Joey.
Pennsylvania (Zone 6b)
Garden Ideas: Level 1
Image
Cinta
Oct 16, 2016 11:43 AM CST
You are going to want some flowers after your Spring bulbs and early summer plants are done. I like to sprinkle Zinnia seeds around my Peony bushes and it looks like the bushes are blooming all summer until Fall.

What you have planted so far is good but if you are like me I wanted something blooming July - Sept. Zinnas are easy and fast. I am not good at growing seeds so they worked good for me because they were so easy.
Name: Joanna
North Central Massachusetts (N (Zone 5b)
Life & gardens: make them beautiful
Image
joannakat
Oct 16, 2016 1:02 PM CST
Cinta said:You are going to want some flowers after your Spring bulbs and early summer plants are done. I like to sprinkle Zinnia seeds around my Peony bushes and it looks like the bushes are blooming all summer until Fall.

What you have planted so far is good but if you are like me I wanted something blooming July - Sept. Zinnas are easy and fast. I am not good at growing seeds so they worked good for me because they were so easy.


Many thanks Cinta! I was wondering what I was going to do with that "blank" space! Thank You!
AKA Joey.

« Garden.org Homepage
« Back to the top
« Forums List
« All Things Gardening forum
You must first create a username and login before you can reply to this thread.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Hair-raising"