Wow, it's been way back in April since my last post. That's a Long Time!
Well, not too much to report other than, I've been traveling for work more and would perhaps explain why my post are so behind. Or, maybe that's an excuse. Insert loud laughing here.
Anyway, I have been busy trying to keep some of my Daylily's going as a big rust and snail infestation has taken over some of my CVs but they're making a comeback. I shared some of these on the monthly Daylily bloom threads but these are some of my favorite shots this season.
Well, I've decided that I'll give some Iris a chance and see how they'll do here in NW Florida. I won 4 cultivars on the Lily Auction from spuria. They are,
Tall Bearded Iris (Iris 'Boysenberry Buttercup')
On one of the last days of my moms visit, while venturing out one day we wound up at one of the local box stores. Wandering around looking at this and those, and oh lookie here's, we came across an Orchid display. Mom loves orchids too it seems, judging by the oohhhhh expression she made when we first saw them. Now I'll admit that I enjoy the beauty of a fine orchid in bloom, but also know they can be temperamental and finicky. So, I never tried my hand at growing them.
Well that changed before we departed the store, as she had me picking out one that I liked. Here is the label with what the bloom will possibly look like.
The variety is a Vanda cross of Somsri Pink x Kulwadee. She also had a couple in her hands that she had chosen. When we arrived home, I fixed the wire hanger to the tiny pot, ran water over the roots and immediately started research on how to, fingers eyes and toes crossed, keep this new plant alive. I watched a great video of Dr. Motes from a link I found in the Orchid forum and so it has begun.
The little orchid was still planted in its little 1.5" pot until today when I broke off a piece of drift wood I have on one of my Daylily beds. I used a reciprocating saw to cut and shape the ends and dug out a hollow section in the middle of the piece. After drilling a couple holes and affixing some electric fence wire to it, I had the vessels to train my new orchid too. I used some coated wire to place the orchid to the drift wood and watered it several time until the roots turned from white back to a lush green after multiple waterings. Apparently, this is the preferred method for watering an orchid.
As it turns out, something I'd forgotten, but mom reminded me, I have an uncle that has won countless awards and ribbons for some of his orchids.
Anyways, here is the little Vanda and it's new home.
Wish me luck with my New Species...
Well first, let me post that I'm extremely happy that my mom was able to visit with my wife and me this past week. She helped tremendously in some of my beds by doing the dreadful chore of weed pulling. Also, although she was bored last Sunday because I wouldn't ask her to do anything or ask for her help, building the retaining wall and NAH bed, she did an awesome job of being the site supervisor. I know she'll see and read this, so thanks Mama!
She also found some of the first scapes on any of the Daylily's, marking A New Season. Yes, finally had some scapes show up.
As usual, one of the first was on 'Country Pride'.
Beautiful day out and decided to take full advantage of it...
I've had plans to redo my Native American Heritage Bed for some time. Last year only a few of the Daylily's bloomed and a couple were lost to goodness knows what. It was also being taken over by grass.
So, with my moms help, I dug all the CVs up and got started with version 2.0.
First, I've been wanting to build a retaining wall as a back ground and to segregate the Bed from the upper level.
Here is a photo of the progress.
So, almost ready to start planting after digging out some of the old soil to add behind the wall. I added garden soil and mushroom compost to till in. I tilled and raked scraps of grass and roots and retilled until no more grass and garbage was being raked out.
And finally I replanted the CVs after removing all the old roots and the garbage entangling and strangling the Daylily's.
Here are the photos. Of the finished bed.
I still need to add soil behind the wall, but waiting for the wall to set and settle in a bit. That'll be another post...
Well it's almost three months now since my last post. Tired of winter and ready for some nicer temps. We've had a few days here and there with nice temps. Still gets cold at night, but tolerable.
I started these back around October 28th or 29th and I've threatened now for months to get them in pots. Today I decided different and elected to plant them directly in the soil in my foundation bed.
Forgot to take picture of the root growth before getting these in the ground.
Got the root growth here and the next set.
They're off to a good start, and will anxiously await maturity and their blooms. Fingers crossed!