gardenerly's blog

How To Stop Your Air Compressor From Rusting And Corroding
Posted on Jul 4, 2017 8:40 AM

When you buy any machine, depreciation is something that you should expect to occur in the life of the machine. You cannot get away with wear and tear with any machine and this is similar to air compressors. Rusting and corrosion will happen with your air compressor, and this is one of the biggest enemy. You might be wondering, how does rust form inside the air compressor? Of course you are aware that unprotected metal is more prone to rust as compared to protected metal.

They always say that prevention is better than cure, which is very true. You need to know some of the most important tips that will help you prevent rust and compressor from your machine. Before you know how to prevent this great enemy, it is also wise if you know how the rust forms in your air compressor.

Rust takes place when there is interaction of hydrogen, water and iron. Because air compressor produces air at a high pressure, some vapor is formed and some condenses into liquid inside the air compressor which results to chemical reaction causing rust.

How To Prevent Corrosion And Rusting

Some people think that removing the rust solves the problem. If you are doing this, you are leading to more corrosion in your tank by yourself. Even though you cannot prevent wear and tear, there are some preventive measures that you can take to prolong the lifespan of your tank. If you follow the following steps, you will be going a step ahead in preventing rust and corrosion.

Drain Your Tank Regularly

When the air compressor is in use, almost 90 percent of the vapor gets through the nozzle. The remaining 10 percent can condense in the tank and form a liquid. The liquid is what leads to rust. You can prevent rust from taking place by draining the tank regularly after you are done using the equipment.

Thumb of 2017-07-04/gardenerly/05f365

Get An After-Cooler

Another way in which you can prevent rust from taking place in the air compressor tank is looking for an after-cooler. Attach the after-cooler to the tank and this will prevent the vapor from getting inside the tank. The after-cooler acts as a filter that traps warm air and cools it down and then it is sent back to the tank. This is a good procedure that minimizes the amount of moisture that can form and accumulate in the tank.

Final Words:

With those two important tips discussed above, it will be very easy to prevent rust from taking place inside the tank of the air compressor. Remember that when you are preventing rusting from taking place, you are prolonging the life of your air compressor. You can use it for many years and get its usefulness.
Don’t even think of removing the rust because this is not a cool thing to do. Not only do you give room for rusting to take place but also you compromise your safety and that of other people. You know that you have to disassemble the tank when you are removing the rust. How sure are you that the tank will be in a position to hold pressure without exploding? For more articles to read can visit: http://gardenreviewers.com

Give a thumbs up [ Permalink | no comments ]

» View gardenerly's profile

  • Member Login:

    Username:

    Password:

    [ Join now ]

    Today's site banner is by rocklady and is called "Wildflower"