Archived Gardening Message Boards

Message Boards :: National Gardening Association

Archived Gardening Message Boards

Topic: Landscaping & Garden Care

<< Back to message boards home
<< Back to Landscaping & Garden Care

View Thread:
bean beetle

bean beetle
Posted by lori from iowa on 2002-01-29 18:32:19

kimm i have been told to try a floating row cover before. but im not sure what that is? would you please explain how to do that. thank you for your help.
  • Floating row covers
    Posted by Kimm from 4a/5b-MI on 2002-01-30 07:35:44

    Floating row covers are a finely woven cloth fabric that will still allow air and light through but keep insects out and help keep the air temperature inside warmer than the surrounding air. Commercially available floating row covers are usually made from a synthetic fabric, spun polyester or some such, although I have heard of people using old sheer drapes or curtains. They are called floating because they are light enough to not need support although today all kinds of things are being used, and sold, to keep the fabric off the plants they cover. Something like a wool blanket probably would not be a floating row cover.


Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "Asperula"