Thumb Thread Title Last Reply Replies
[Sticky] -- Sempervivum Chat & Photos 2022 by johnmonno Oct 4, 2022 12:00 AM 2,304
[Sticky] -- Changes to Sempervivum Names by goldfinch4 Apr 10, 2020 10:01 PM 69
[Sticky] -- Sempervivum physiology simplified! by Bigtrout Oct 12, 2017 7:10 AM 24
Hi, New, I guess I will be hanging out here! by KatyLLL Oct 3, 2022 7:17 AM 17
Chick Charms® New varieties by valleylynn Oct 2, 2022 9:58 AM 219
It is time for atonement by tcstoehr Sep 29, 2022 3:10 PM 74
Perennial Obsessions by valleylynn Sep 17, 2022 4:19 PM 14
Seedling Chat by springcolor Sep 15, 2022 7:13 PM 4,063
Titanopsis Hugo Schlechtri by katesflowers Sep 6, 2022 8:23 AM 10
Black Cobweb by Westfork Sep 3, 2022 9:46 PM 8
Sempervivum Colorockz by valleylynn Sep 3, 2022 4:09 PM 19
Gold Nugget Vs. Gold Rush by ndmpkt13 Aug 24, 2022 6:43 PM 9
'Citrus Sunrise' through the year by ndmpkt13 Aug 22, 2022 9:44 AM 72
Johannian's Big Puppy by Johannian Aug 19, 2022 9:55 PM 34
Hi! New to this and to this forum by Sempinvasion Aug 16, 2022 10:49 AM 11
Trade name SUPERSEMP® by valleylynn Jul 30, 2022 1:15 PM 64
semp basket looking good by herrwood Jul 12, 2022 10:18 PM 2
Mineral soil amendments by GeologicalForms Jul 6, 2022 3:44 PM 110
Test and Comparison: Hydroponic Expanded Clay Pellets in Potting Medium Instead by FPF Jun 22, 2022 3:08 AM 14
Large colonies of sempervivum by tcstoehr Jun 21, 2022 11:08 AM 177

Only the members of the Members group may start new threads in this forum.
Moderated by valleylynn

Welcome to the world of Sempervivum.

Please come in and enjoy the Chat thread and other informative threads. Share your ideas and experiences growing these amazing succulents and post photos of the ones you are growing. Used for container growing, ground cover, rock gardens and hanging baskets. Let your creativity lead you to new ways of using them.

About Sempervivum

Sempervivum Reference Sites

Succulent Nurseries

Articles and Tips About Sempervivum

Sempervivum Dictionary

If you are having problems with your hardy succulents, visit Growing Pains, hosted by Doctor Houseleeks, who will help find just the right treatment to get that plant back to health, or help you understand what to do so you don’t lose another much loved plant.

Recent photos from our
Sempervivum database:

Recent comments from our
Sempervivum database:

• Here is a little history on 'Moon Maiden', from Don Mylin:
    I cannot tell you the seed parent for Moon Maiden, however I have used 'Korspel Sport' a few years back to generate a series of plants with thicker leaves which is what I was after. One of the earlier ones was 'Emerald City'. Now I have several larger plants with the thickness but green. Moon Maiden was the first one with decent color. When it starts to grow in the spring it looks like it is going to be yellowish ivory but as time passes it gets darker and darker. It made me think of the light and dark sides of the moon. From there it was a leap to an old Duke Ellington tune- 'Moon Maiden'
  • youngsgarden said: This is one of my favorites of Kevin's new introductions... such intense, ever changing coloring. Kevin sent me this new variety about the time that my daughter was born. We weren't sure we were going to keep it because the coloring did change so drastically throughout the year... it was just A2-1 for the longest time. Having received the plant when my first daughter, Gwen, was born though it reminded me a lot of her... intense, beautiful, always changing.

• JungleShadows said: Lynn,

You know that looks similar to my plant of calcareum from Ceuse, although maybe more gold right now. Ceuse is one of my favorite calcareums.

It's too bad the calcareums only bloom rarely as it would be good to have more of that germplasm in our semps. It tends to make nice compact plants with good weather resistance, perhaps because it has to withstand more Mediterranean conditions in its native France.

Kevin

• JungleShadows said:
    Funny story on 'Flasher'. Helen was a bit of a prude and wouldn't sell my 'Devil's Advocate' because of Satan. Luckily she didn't know what flasher referred to so that went on the market. It was the first one that had bright red color for me. It is from a seedling of Ed Skrocki's, his #51, that had very bright color but was a wretched plant

I know Ed Skrocki almost split a gut laughing at the name, knowing full well that Helen didn't!

Kevin
  • Volkmar Schara said:I don't give the parents anymore for several reasons. The mother is always exactly determined - with the father I cannot be sure! I work in the last years mostly with parents who have not been named yet. Most of the seedings are from very new plants that are still in the trial stage. The plants are always close together and therefore from the group will also be the fathers! However, many plants then fail to make the introduction and are discarded again - so naming the mother doesn't make much sense. Black Tears comes from a seeding of Sweet Little Tears - hence the name - I would also be very interested in the father. From the whole sowing only this seedling was kept! Really a pity, I expected more from Sweet Little Tears - one of my favorite varieties! I hope I could help you a little bit.
    Kind regards Volkmar
  • » More comments
Member Login:

( No account? Join now! )

Today's site banner is by RachaelHunter and is called "Hydrangea"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.