Art Gallery Gardens Spring 2012 introductions by Betja Oct 6, 2011 4:41 AM 7
I need some photos please by tink3472 Oct 5, 2011 5:19 AM 7
Untitled by spunky1 Oct 4, 2011 1:33 PM 17
Raised Beds by rebloomnut Oct 3, 2011 5:30 AM 36
Can anyone ID this one? by sandnsea2 Oct 2, 2011 7:04 PM 18
distinctive garden designs by lilylady Sep 28, 2011 6:00 AM 15
f2 crosses by lilyfan Sep 28, 2011 5:55 AM 9
Salter Fall 2011 Introductions by Betja Sep 28, 2011 4:59 AM 6
Daylilies from Fred and Kathleen Manning (SPUNKY1) by spunky1 Sep 28, 2011 4:56 AM 16
Some Pictures of New 2012 Intros! by Betja Sep 25, 2011 8:59 AM 6
Perennials in the daylily beds. by Newyorkrita Sep 23, 2011 7:05 PM 11
Region 14 Fall Meeting by spunky1 Sep 22, 2011 9:54 AM 2
Thoroughbred Daylilies having a clump sale. I had to buy some! by Newyorkrita Sep 20, 2011 11:32 AM 43
Dousing Them With Fertilizer by Newyorkrita Sep 19, 2011 9:58 AM 11
Late Rebloom by poplarcreek Sep 17, 2011 11:43 AM 10
Diamond dusted? by PollyK Sep 14, 2011 8:20 PM 37
Daylily Database discussion by daylily Sep 13, 2011 2:06 PM 27
Three Prolifs On One Scape (pics) by Newyorkrita Sep 12, 2011 2:39 PM 12

Page 162 of 168 • 1 ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 ... 168
You must first create a username and login before you can start new threads in this forum.
Moderated by Char

Recent photos from our
Daylilies database:

Recent comments from our
Daylilies database:

Talking about Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Lights of Detroit'), DogsNDaylilies wrote:

I absolutely LOVE this flower's form, but it is really a difficult plant to hybridize with! I've tried hybridizing it as both a pod and pollen parent many times and it produces a lot of squishy seeds and the pollen is nearly impossible. I have managed a few seeds with it from sheer persistence, but viability of the seeds remains to be seen.

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Karen Stephens'), DogsNDaylilies wrote:

The blooms on this one are such a gorgeous, deep red, I found myself wanting to hybridize with it a lot. Pollen is good, although I don't have enough data handy to comment on how good.

She might be a little on the tender side up north. It looks like I lost her over this past winter, but I did pickaxe her from a northern garden, so she might have perished for other reasons.

Edited to add: I wasn't meaning to be funny on that last line..."pickaxe" is supposed to read "pick;" but, for once, auto-correct changed my word to something that was far more appropriate and hilarious. I'm leaving it. :)

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Ginger Cookie'), DogsNDaylilies wrote:

This daylily is a very fast multiplier for me here up north. It also takes pollen very well when hybridizing. (I have not used it much, if at all, as a pollen parent, so no data there.) Cute blooms with a somewhat unique coloring. Dark green foliage.

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Thorhalla'), DogsNDaylilies wrote:

Thorhalla *seems* to be taking pollen from tetraploid parents. I will try to confirm this as time goes on, but I spent the beginning of last season thinking Thorhalla was tet and pollinated with tet pollen, only to realize my mistake, but still end up with seeds. (So far, I got seeds from Thorhalla that had pollen parents Duck's Dark Side and from Aerial Applique.) I'll only know for sure if/when the seedlings grow out and I can see if the seedlings resemble their supposed pollen parents.

If anyone else has Thorhalla and wants to run some tet crossing experiments, please let me know how it turns out for you!

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Daylily (Hemerocallis 'Margo Reed Indeed'), DogsNDaylilies wrote:

Margo Reed Indeed is a lovely plant, and she seemed to be all the rage several years ago, but I find that her scapes can be flimsy and her blooms can have a yellow-green tint to them, so she isn't my favorite daylily. I do like her well enough, though, and consider her a keeper.

I've hybridized with MRI a bit just to see what I get out of her, but can't comment on the offspring yet since I don't think I've planted any of the seeds yet. Appears to be average to better than average pod fertility and average to better than average pollen fertility.

[ Post Reply ]

» More comments
Member Login:

Username:

Password:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchids on a Wagon Wheel"