Forums→Roses

Thumb Thread Title Last Reply Replies
December 2021 -- Photos and Chat by zuzu Dec 1, 2021 10:08 PM 6
Augusta Luise - My Favorite 2019 Rose by AnnKNCalif Dec 1, 2021 7:20 PM 18
This is an Ask NGA question! Is this normal for Pearly Gates? by jasono Nov 30, 2021 5:13 PM 1
November 2021 -- Photos and Chat by zuzu Nov 29, 2021 2:58 PM 56
Root rot in climbing Graham Thomas? by StefBenstead Nov 28, 2021 9:41 PM 4
Roses Two Thousand Twenty One by RpR Nov 25, 2021 11:58 PM 15
This is an Ask NGA question! Prune Rose Bushes by opeka Nov 21, 2021 11:40 AM 7
What's wrong with my rose? by Dewberry Nov 21, 2021 8:26 AM 1
Favorite rose fertilizer, and organic vs. non-organic by reh0622 Nov 21, 2021 12:32 AM 35
Tips for Keeping Miniature Roses? by Macrocentra Nov 17, 2021 11:49 AM 4
Charles Mallerin by SquigsMum Nov 15, 2021 8:35 AM 3
Repeat blooming climber for a two-story house by Dewberry Nov 14, 2021 5:36 AM 3
Anyone grow Ferdinand Picard?? by KenNEGA Nov 13, 2021 4:58 PM 1
2021 Photo Contest by zuzu Nov 11, 2021 3:11 PM 0
What is wrong with my roses? by LolaTasmania Nov 6, 2021 6:59 PM 5
ISO Tropica by TBipp Oct 30, 2021 2:41 PM 1
This is an Ask NGA question! Sterling Silver Rose by Suzeeblooms Oct 29, 2021 8:48 PM 6
Mushrooms by Aerith Oct 29, 2021 3:42 PM 5
October 2021 -- Photos and Chat by zuzu Oct 28, 2021 1:15 PM 41
This is an Ask NGA question! Zone 10a and 10b by carolkerraolcom Oct 27, 2021 9:00 PM 8

Page 1 of 171 • 1 2 3 4 5 ... 171
Only the members of the Members group may start new threads in this forum.
Moderated by zuzu and Calif_Sue

Welcome to the NGA Rose forum. We are a group of rose gardeners and rose fans who enjoy sharing our experience, knowledge, and photos. We stay friends by avoiding political discussions, obscene language, and displays of "rose snobbery." Many members of our group are quite knowledgeable and will be glad to take a stab at answering your questions and identifying your mystery roses.

You can click "Watch this forum" on the upper right-hand side of the Rose Forum main page and you'll always be updated on any new threads or posts.

Links on Garden.org
NGA Help & Welcome

Other Links:
HelpMeFindRoses

Recent photos from our
Roses database:

Recent comments from our
Roses database:

Talking about Rose (Rosa rugosa 'Hansa'), adknative wrote:

I've had Rosa rugosa 'Hansa' growing in one corner of my yard since 2014 - an amazing feat in zone 3 gardens, where few roses survive. It blooms reliably every year, the fragrance is very much an 'old-fashioned rose' scent and it tops out a bit under 5 feet (I'm 5 feet 2 inches, and it's about eye-level for me.) Even better, it dislikes pruning and is extremely low maintenance.

This past spring was the first time in seven years Hansa offered up a 1-ft, perfectly-shaped off-spring (inconveniently in the middle of a mowed path). So I severed the connecting root and moved the baby Hansa to a new border bed, where it grew nicely all summer. Unlike several other rugosa roses here, Hansa stays put and does not spread or take over other areas of the gardens.

In zone 3, this is a hardy, well-behaved shrub that offers periodic flowers throughout the summer, after the first flush of blooms has passed... and even with (many) allergies, I can actually smell these flowers. I would recommend Hansa to any cold-climate gardener (where roses are hard to come by).

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Rose (Rosa 'Dr. A.J. Verhage'), Hugoskucek wrote:

Good Morning.
I remember the Dr.Verhage Rose from the 1960s. it was a beautiful coloured rose -- deep gold, blushed sometimes on the outside petals with reddish-apricot colour.
The stem was quite ugly and it had heavy thorns and rather ugly large leaves. We used this rose a lot in the flower shop where I worked then in Birmingham. I assumed it had gone out of production because I tried to find a plant for my sister-in-law's golden wedding, as Dr.Verhage was the rose she had carried in her bouquet. Delightful scent also. In the shop we had to clean the stems of thorns. They were lethal, but I think scraping the stems damaged the cell structure? And left them open to bacteria.
It is wonderful seeing other roses on this site that we used. Black tea was a fabulous rose in the 70s and 80s, but it seemed to disappear from the markets as we were told it did not produce enough flowers.

Thank you for the pleasure here. Dr. Verhage is such a different rose today.
I remember Champagne was another fabulous colour, just right for vintage weddings!!

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Rose (Rosa 'Nicolas'), Yonkliang wrote:

Resistant to black spot
Resistant to mildew
Resistant to rust

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Rose (Rosa 'Belinda's Dream'), SoCalGardenNut wrote:

Incredibly easy to take care in my garden. It was planted in a tough spot, bad soil, tough corner, full sun, and it thrives.

[ Post Reply ]

Talking about Rose (Rosa 'Violet's Pride'), SoCalGardenNut wrote:

This rose is so easy to grow in SoCal, no problem, no spraying, repeat flowering.

[ Post Reply ]

» More comments
Member Login:

[ Join now ]

Today's site banner is by arctangent and is called "Wintertime surprise"

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.