Basil wont grow - Knowledgebase Question

La Mesa, Ca
Question by bjohnson9194
I planted some basil seed in some good soil mix, wet it well and covered it with plastic wrap with holes punched in it. Put it in a semi shaded spot and it never sprouted. So I put it in the sun and that didn't work either. Whats the best way to grow basil from seed?

0

The soil may have not been warm enough or perhaps it dried out. If seeds start the germination process, but dry out, germination halts and can't be restarted. Try again with fresh seed. Plant in slightly moist seed starting mix, covering seed with just 1/8" or so of soil. Loosely cover the container with plastic wrap to maintain humidity and set in a spot out of direct sunlight. At warm temperatures (about 70 degrees) the basil should germinate in just a few days. As soon as you see sprouts, remove the plastic and place the pot in direct sunlight. Keep the soil evenly moist but not soggy and the plants should grow well. You can also sow seed directly into a garden bed in full sun as soon as the soil has warmed in spring, so you could try that now, but be sure to keep the soil moist. I hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"