flowers - Knowledgebase Question

Delray Beach, Fl
Question by wpmills2
The intense heat has my impatience truly suffering
Should i pull them up - or
cut them back and they could grow back. This is my first Florida garden and I need help.

I'm sorrying your plants are struggling. Before giving up on them, let's see if we can troubleshoot. Impatiens prefer shady or partially shady conditions. Florida's full sun would be too much for them. Water enough to keep the soil evenly moist but not sopping wet. Be sure water soaks deeply through the root zone, 10 to 12 inches, rather than just penetrating the top inch or so of soil. Add a 2-inch layer of organic mulch around plants. Mulch is great to help retain soil moisture and reduce soil temperatures. Any organic matter can be used as mulch. Try compost, bark, wood chips, straw, or pine needles. I wouldn't recommend cutting them back in the heat of summer. It would be stressful because reducing foliage reduces a plant's ability to photosynthesize, and if they are getting direct sun, foliage that had once been protected would not be bare and susceptible to sunburn. I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"