Growing Avocados from pits - Knowledgebase Question

Gonzales, Lo
Question by NeckameyerM
This year I have planted a number of avocado pits in pots and some in the ground. I don't know how to GRAFT. Is there a chance my little trees which have begun to grow to a foot or so tall, can someday (how long?) bear fruit?

0

While you can grow a tree from an avocado seed, keep in mind that it will take 7-15 years to begin producing fruit. Also, the fruit from a tree grown from seed will not be identical to the parent variety. Known varieties such as Hass avocados are grafted to preserve the characteristics of the variety rather than grown from a seed. If you have a Hass avocado tree from which you can take scion wood and you want to try your hand at grafting, here is the URL of a website with info to get you started: http://www.extension.umn.edu/d...

Today's site banner is by EscondidoCal and is called "Tithonia diversifolia"