Dropped Fruit - Knowledgebase Question

Metairie, Lo
Question by clintmet
I live in Metairie, LA. My fruit trees (navel orange, Meyer lemon & pink grapefruit)dropped almost all of the fruit. I don't know why. Thanks in advance for any help.

0

Fruit drop is very common, as the trees set far more fruit than they can bare to maturity. It's their natural thinning process. Citrus trees usually take several years or more to develop a consistent fruit crop. Citrus trees thrive on consistent moisture, so apply enough water slowly and deeply to thoroughly soak the root mass. How often to water depends on your soil characteristics, rainfall and weather. Use a soil probe to help determine how often to apply water (such as a pointed stick or metal rod) and poke it into the soil. It will move easily through moist soil and stop at dry soil. As trees mature, be sure to water out to their canopy or drip line, where new roots are growing. To keep water from evaporating too quickly, mulch over the root area. This will also help suppress weeds. Citrus are also heavy "feeders." Apply fertilizer three times per year, using 1/3 of their total annual nitrogen requirements. Good luck with your citrus!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"