Pot Planting - Knowledgebase Question

DESOTO, Mi
Question by mapm54
I rent and I love Peonies can I plant peonies in large pots so I can enjoy them is there something special I will need to do to help them grow in a pot?

0

You can keep them in pots but will need to care for them more frequently and water often. Be sure the soil is well drained and not saturated as this can cause the plant to decay. Because you are in Michigan, you will need to transplant them in the fall into the ground, as a hard freeze in the winter may kill the plant. Be ready to cover them with a cardboard box or similar material should a hard freeze threaten.
If they have been indoors and are sprouted but very tender and weak, you will need to acclimate them gradually to being out in the sun and weather. To do this set them in their pots in a sheltered location and gradually expose them to more sun each day, beginning with just a little morning sun. Be careful not to let them dry out while in their pots or after they have been planted. Enjoy your new peonies!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"