Planting on a 'steep' hill - Knowledgebase Question

Bellevue, Wa
Question by Gina1980
Good Morning! I'm having a hard time figuring out what to plant on a hill. The plants at the bottom of the hill do well, naturally, but what should I plant in the Seattle area on a steep hill for groundcover and height? :0)

0

Try purchasing "flats" of creeping groundcover plants and space them far apart? This way you'll have some control over the erosion that often occurs on steep slopes. I'd also spread the word with friends, neighbors and co-workers that you're in need of plants to put on your hillside. Spring is when many people dig and divide their plants; it's also a time when many gardening clubs and non-profit organizations have plant sales. I'll bet you'll find lots of lovely plants for very little money at these special events. In the meantime, here are suggestions for some creeping, deep rooting perennial groundcovers: Allegheny spurge (Pachysandra procumbens) and Japanese pachysandra (Pachysandra terminalis) Northern sea oats (Chasmanthium latifolium) Blue oat grass (Helictotrichon sempervirens) Liriope or "lilyturf" (Liriope spicata) Bugleweed (Ajuga reptans 'Atropurpurea') Creeping myrtle, or periwinkle vinca vines (Vinca minor) Deadnettle (Lamium galeobdolon) Catnip (Nepeta cataria) Sweet woodruff (Galium odoratum) Creeping thyme plants, such as woolly thyme (Thymus pseudolanuginosus). Or try a spreading evergreen ivy: English Ivy.

Best wishes with your landscape!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Autumn Colour"