Poor Soil Drainage - Knowledgebase Question

Detroit, Mi
Question by ayashu
Part of my vegetable garden is lower than the rest. Every time it rains the water flows to this corner and accumulates, stunting my tomato plants' growth and making them mildew. Is there something I can do to change this?

0

Certainly standing water and saturated soil conditions will be detrimental to your garden plantings. Some solutions and recommendations:

1. Try and see if you have the room to divert the storm water runoff by developing a swale on either side of your garden bed. If you properly grade the garden so the pitch of the surface channels the water into the swale, then you will help avoid water runoff into the corner of the vegetable garden.

2. You can install a check dam within your garden, such as a long timber, a log or a collection / row of bricks or stones that will divert the storm water runoff out of your vegetable garden. Don't use any treated lumber in a vegetable garden.

Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"