Palm Problems - Knowledgebase Question

Queen Creek, Ar
Question by makeitup22
I've got two queen palms and two canary island date palms. I fertalize with the appropriate palm food mix, they're on a drip watered daily, and yet neither really grow, and the queen's are limp, yellow, and drab. How can I get them to be growing, vibrant, and green again? how much water do they need?

Queen palms are tropical plants that often struggle in the desert?s salty soils, low humidity, freezing temperatures and summer heat Water deeply but infrequently, allowing the soil to dry just a bit in-between. When soils are too moist, palms are unable to absorb nutrients, which can result in pale yellow fronds. Apply water two to three feet away from the palm?s trunk. It should soak two to three feet deep. The interval will depend on the season: once every seven to 10 days in summer; once every three to four weeks in winter. The desert's salty soils also interfere with the absorption of nitrogen and iron. Adding a three-inch layer of organic mulch on top of the soil will slow evaporation, cool the soil and add nutrients back into the soil as it decomposes. The addition of soluble soil sulfur will help lower the pH just a bit which should help with the absorption of nutrients. I hhope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"