Erosion Control - Knowledgebase Question

Pacoima, Ca
Question by mattbreso2
Hi there, I have a dirt hill outside my house (not soil, but just dirt). I want to plant something to help reduce the erosion that occurs when it rains. I live in a hot relatively dry climate, and the area currently gets watered from my sprinklers. I've heard that grasses are very helpful with erosion control.

0

Grasses are very good at erosion control because they have fibrous roots that help knit the soil together. There are lots of attractive ornamental grasses you can use or you can find a groundcover to plant in the spot (or maybe a combination of the two). Creeping phlox, creeping thyme, Gaillardia (Blanket flower) and ajuga (carpet bugle) are all sun loving ground covers. Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"