Pruning & care of 3 in 1 apple tree - Knowledgebase Question

Livonia, Mi
Question by colleen_chri
Last spring I planted a 3in1 apple tree. I don't know how to prune it. There are many articles about pruning apple trees, but the 3in1 tree does not seem to fit these. It does not seem to have a

You're right, there's no central leader in a 3-in-1 apple tree. Each of the different apple varieties are grafted onto a single tree. The best way to prune is to simply shorten the length of the branches so the tree looks symmetrical. Dormant oil will suffocate overwintering insects and their eggs but won't keep insects from feasting on the leaves in the spring and summer months. You may need to routinely spray your tree in the summertime to discourage insect feeding. Carbaryl (Sevin) is registered for use on apple trees. Be sure to follow label directions.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"