Pruning an Oleander - Knowledgebase Question

Surprise, Ar
Question by lstratman1
I know that this is probably not the best time to prune an oleander, but mine was out of control at 12-15 feet high. So I wacked it down to about 3 feet. Have I killed it? Should I plug one or both the drip irrigation ports that are making it get too big?

0

Plants are genetically programmed to grow to their size, so eliminating water won't make it stay smaller, it will just make it unhealthy. Assuming you want to keep it, you don't want to stress it because stressed plants are prone to insects and disease. I doubt that you've killed it--oleander is tenacious! There are dwarf oleanders or other plants with mature sizes that will stay low. If that's your goal, it might be easier in the long run to remove it and replace it with something else. Otherwise, you'll always be wacking it back!

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"