tomaTOES - Knowledgebase Question

san antonio, Te
Question by dkwpstretche
my tomatoes are not setting fruit. how can i help them?also when do i start seeds and transplant for a fall crop? what varieties are best for my area?

0

A couple possibilities come to mind. Tomato pollen isn't viable much over 90 degrees, so fruits won't set. What have your temperatures been? Another possibility is that the flowers aren't being pollinated at all. There aren't as many pollinators around as in past years. Try gently tapping and shaking your plants in the early morning to see if you can get some fruit to set. As a rule of thumb, sow seeds indoors 6 to 8 weeks before setting transplants out. The best time to plant in fall depends upon the crop. Texas A&M offers a calendar guide at http://aggie-horticulture.tamu....

Today's site banner is by Baja_Costero and is called "Aloe with six-legged friends"