Locust damage - Knowledgebase Question

North Port, Fl
Question by seamonster3
Is there something I can spray on my Queen Lilies to keep the locusts off them? They are having a feast, eating them to shreds. I kill the locusts when I see them, but wonder if there is something I can spray on the plants themselves to keep them off! Thanks for your help.

0

There's a biological control called Grasshopper Bait. It's a product made from bran and a sweetener lure laced with a predacious protozoa, Nosema locustae. It is non-toxic to animals, people, plants and other insects, but kills most species of grasshoppers by infecting them with a disease. Grasshoppers will spread the disease among themselves, by eating sick hoppers and by laying infected eggs.
Grasshoppers are difficult to deter because they come in from neighboring fields and yard. A biological control disease organism, the protozoan Nosema locustae might work. Nosema locustae is most effective on young grasshoppers and locusts. This biological control will reduce grasshopper or locust numbers over a few days or weeks, but, generally, it is a slow-acting disease that takes at least a year to affect grasshopper populations. N. locustae is available at many garden shops and nurseries and is sold under various trade names. Use this product strictly according to label instructions. Because adult grasshoppers are older and tougher than the nymphs, they are more difficult to control. Deter them from your garden by keeping other areas of your property well-watered to provide a lush alternative to your garden.

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"