pink crown of thorns - Knowledgebase Question

Juno Beach, Fl
Question by tomegw
They look very wilted this summer, and I thought they did not like a lot of water? What are the exact conditions they require?

0

Crown of Thorns (Euphorbia milii). Euphorbia are desert plants, so they like a porous soil. They rot if there's too much moisture and they must have excellent drainage. If you have it in a pot, try to find a potting mix made especially for cactus, or make your own with 1 part potting soil to 2 parts sharp sand, and 2 parts perlite or pumice. Many cactus/euphorbia die from overwatering. The plant may look like it's wilting but applying more water will put the roots in too-wet soil and they'll rot. Water slowly and deeply, and as infrequently as possible, letting the water drain out the bottom. As a guideline only, in summer, water 2 times per month; in winter, maybe just 1 time per month. Adjust for your plant as needed. Crown of thorns likes full sun, but can tolerate some shade. I hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"