New Blooms Dying - Knowledgebase Question

cincinnati, Oh
Question by steph2020
Hi, I have a ton of flowers with new buds forming. But, before the blooms can open up they die. It is mostly the Dianthus (all varieties) and calibrachea. What could this be caused from. I've googled this and can't really find a straight answer. Thanks!!

0

I think you're dealing with budworms. These are the larvae of a fly or wasp that spend their lives within the unopened flower buds, feeding and growing large. When they are mature they exit the buds and pupate in the soil. You can try to break the cycle by cultivating the soil beneath your plants to expose them to the elements and predators. Cut off any flower buds that have little holes in them, as well. Eventually you'll reduce the population of bud worms and your flowers will open as they should. Good luck with your garden!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "