Pinching Back Mums - Knowledgebase Question

bel air, Ma
Question by tfleiner
Is it too late to pinch my mums back in early July? Some are starting to bloom and have buds.

I'd pinch back the mums before they have a chance to flower. The usual course of events is to allow your plant to sprout in the spring and after it has developed 4-6 inches of growth, remove the top one or two inches of new growth by holding the stem between your forefinger and your thumb and pinching it with your thumbnail. This could be just below a set of leaves, but it does not have to be. You will soon see new growth just above this spot. When this new growth reaches 3-4 inches long, pinch it back again. Repeat as required until the first or second week of August. At this time stop pinching and just allow your mums to grow and develop flower beds. Before the flowers open you can thin the buds by removing all but the larger center bud. You'll have fewer flowers but they will be larger. Enjoy your mums!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"