Flowering of Vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

Flagstaff, Ar
Question by teek601
My tomatoes, squash and beans are growing in Flagstaff, Az. but are not flowering, thus, no fruit. What can I do to promote flowers and ultimately fruit?

Here?s some basic info on fertilizer and nutrients that plants require. The 3 numbers on a fertilizer bag refer to the percentage of N (nitrogen), P (phosphorus), and K (potassium) in the bag. There are different formulations for different purposes. In general terms, nitrogen produces lush green growth, phosphorus helps strengthen stems and produce flowers, and potassium keeps the root system healthy. If you're applying fertilizer to fruiting (e.g., tomatoes) or flowering plants, you're not as interested in the plant developing leaves as you are in it flowers and fruit, so you'd use a formulation lower in nitrogen and higher in phosphorus, such as Miracle-Gro's Plant Food at 15-30-15. Bone meal and rock phosphate are organic sources of phosphorus. However, they are slow to move through the soil and be absorbed by plants, so you might want to use a chemical fertilizer this year and work on building richer soil over time. Also, if you fertilized heavily with nitrogen earlier in the year, plants would develop foliage at the expense of flowers. I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"