Fall vegetables - Knowledgebase Question

San Marcos, Ca
Question by mrajan
What seeds should I start planting now to get ready to plant fall vegetables.

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Here's a trick to remember when to plant what: Cool season crops are those which you eat the stems, leaves, and roots, such as all salad greens, cabbage family (cauliflower, broccoli, Chinese cabbage, bok choy) and carrots, beets, onions, etc. Peas are also cool season. Warm season crops are those which you eat the fruits, such as tomatoes, melons, peppers, squash and cukes. Roots crops should be sown directly into the soil in the fall. Cabbage family crops, because they take longer to mature, are good to start to get transplants ready to go. Salad greens can also be started but they do just as well direct sown, so that depends on your space and time. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"