perennial red hibiscus - Knowledgebase Question

White Hall, Il
Question by dunlapd1
I need to move the hybiscus in the middle of July. Will this be safe? Or should I move it right now in this heat & before it blooms. I do not want to lose it. Thank you Donna

0

Moving plants in the middle of summer heat is always stressful and there's the chance that it won't come back. Dig the transplant hole first so you can get it back into the ground as quickly as possible. Water it deeply the day or night before so the rootball will be moist. After transplanting, be sure to keep the soil moist, watering deeply through the rootball. Don't just sprinkle water on top. Also, don't fertilize, which will stress the plant, pushing it to grow when it just needs to recover. Finally, it might be helpful to erect a temporary sunshade to help it acclimate. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by ge1836 and is called "Alteri Lily"