Lilac tree problems - Knowledgebase Question

Tinley Park, Il
Question by cynsch
Not to be confused with lilac bushes, our lilac tree has entire branches with wilting leaves. which will dry and fall off This is a recurring problem which I have discussed with several

A Japanese Lilac tree (Syringa reticulata) is the most commonly grown Lilac Tree so I'm guessing that's what you have in your landscape. If this is what you're growing, it's usually pest free but sometimes is attacked by Lilac borer larvae which tunnel into the branches, causing wilting, particularly on drought-stressed trees. You may need to closely inspect the affected branches to see if you find any suspicious looking holes in them. If so, you'll need to prune off the severely infested branches and destroy them. Once the borers are in the branches, they cannot be controlled with insecticides. Hope this information helps you determine the problem with your lilac tree.

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Lantana"