Almond Tree - Knowledgebase Question

Fairfield, Ca
Question by vinshe
I bought an all in one almond tree about a month ago. The leaves are curling up and turning brown. Why are the leaves turning brown? What can I do to take of the tree?

Be sure that water soaks deeply through the root system. Use a soil probe (any long, pointed piece of metal or wood to poke into the soil) to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. For mature trees, water should soak 3 feet deep; for newly planted trees, about 2 to 2.5, depending on the size/depth of the rootball when it was planted. There are numerous variables involved for watering schedules, such as type of soil, how fast or slow it drains, sun and wind exposure at your site, temperature, age and condition of the plants, so it's impossible to say how often to water. Stick your finger in the soil. If it's dry to about 3 inches, apply more water. Always water deeply and around the tree's entire circumference out at the dripline (canopy edge). Also, did you recently apply fertilizer? Overfertilizing in summer can create the problems you describe as it "burns" tree roots in summer's heat. I hope this info helps.

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"