Hydrangea - Knowledgebase Question

Baltimore, Ma
Question by criderdl
What can I do to help my Hydrangea bloom larger? I water them daily, but they don't seem to bloom as larege as others in my neighborhood

It shouldn't be necessary to water daily, assuming your hydrangea is in the ground (not a pot). Overwatering is just as detrimental as underwatering. Water deeply, but infrequently. Water should soak about 2 feet deep for shrubs. Use a soil probe (any long, pointed piece of metal or wood to poke into the soil) to check how far water has penetrated. The probe moves easily through moist soil, but stops when it hits hard dry soil. When the soil is dry at a depth of 2 to 3 inches, apply more water.

I wouldn't fertilize in the midst of summer heat. Overfertilization with a fertilizer high in nitrogen can also cause problems. This can result in a lot of vegetative growth at the expense of flowers. Don't use lawn fertilizer if there's grass around the shrub and apply a fertilizer high in phosphorus and potassium such as 5-10-10 in the spring being careful to follow instructions.

They like to grow in well drained soil, high in organic matter (compost, leaf mould, composted cow manure, etc.) A helping of any one of those in the spring and fall will really help your plant to grow better (and improve soil composition). Healthier plants are more likely to produce healthy blooms. Finally, is your hydrangea the same species as others in the neighborhood? Different varieties have different bloom characteristics. I hope this info is helpful!

Today's site banner is by joannakat and is called "Sweet Alyssum 2"