Blueberry plant - Knowledgebase Question

Palm Bay, Fl
Question by pkelley1uf
I have seen some great blueberry plants in this area. We planted one in a large pot (with holes to drain) and watered every day. It died quickly, but the blackberry plant done the same way is thriving. Did we miss something? Had a similar experience with strawberry plants in our

I'm sorry your plant died. Transplanting into a pot in the summer can sometimes be stressful because soil temperatures heat up dramatically in a container. Blueberries are somewhat challenging because they are quite fussy about soil conditions. They need very fertile, very well drained, acidic soil, with a pH of between 4 and 5.5. They grow best in a moist, but not soggy wet soil. Amending soil with compost before planting to retain soil moisture can be helpful. Also, watering a container every day is often needed in summer, but be sure be sure it soaks the entire root ball and drains out the bottom, and be sure you aren't overwatering, as wet roots will rot. Empty the saucer if you have one so the leached salts aren't reabsorbed. Blackberries, on the other hand, are very vigorous and not fussy about soil!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"