Roses Drowned by Torrential Rains - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Sherrie Ramos
Oklahoma City, Ok
Question by sherrieramo
I live in Oklahoma and 2 wks ago we received a year's worth of rainfall in approx 3-5 days, one day which we received 12 inches alone. My new $25 roses I planted just a week prior to the rains look completely destroyed and drowned by all of the non-stop rains. It has now been two weeks since this happened but they have not recovered; is there any hope for them now?

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were innundated with questions and are working to catch up. It's difficult to predict what will happen with your roses. Their roots need oxygen to thrive, and saturated soil forces out the oxygen. If the roots were sitting in soaked soil for a couple weeks, they may have rotted. I'd give it a little more time and watch for signs of new growth. Be sure not to apply more water if the soil is wet. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Crocosmia 'Lucifer'"