Help with my Kwanzaa! - Knowledgebase Question

Fredericksburg, Vi
Question by bigpaws12
Pleated a sapling Kwanzaa Cherry 4 years ago. It has grown to nearly 10' tall and is lush, but has NEVER flowered. I read it could be getting too much lawn fertilizer, so we made the bed the tree is in much larger and fed it with Bayer Tree and Shrub (which killed whatever bore in to it last winter, to further complicate matters. All better now!) I WANT it to bloom this spring. Help!?!

It could be that tree is still becoming established and needs to mature before it blooms fully. Is it possible that it's roots were disturbed when the bed was enlarged? This combined with too much lawn fertilizer for several years may have set it back. Does it receive full sun, at least 8 hours daily? Even though it should be okay in your zone 7, if it's in a cold or windy microclimate, flower buds may not survive. Is it planted in a low spot, where cold air accumulates or where wind whips through? Is it stressed for water? It's essential to apply water deeply through the root zone, not just sprinkle lightly. In spring, fertilize at a maximum rate of 1/8 pound of nitrogen per inch of trunk diameter. Water deeply after application. I hope this info helps!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"