Eastern Redbud Tree - Knowledgebase Question

san diego, Ca
Question by vickytan
I am planning to buy a Eastern Redbud tree and would like to know if buying one in a 15 gallon or 24 gallon container makes a difference. The tree itself in the container are almost the same size except one is in a smaller container. The tree looks healthy and full around. Would the 15 gallon tree be rootbound and will affect the growth? Thanks for your help.

0

I apologize for the delay in responding. We were flooded with questions and are working to catch up! Ask the nursery to help you examine the rootball in the 15 gallon. Are there any roots growing out of the drainage holes? Is the soil line extremely low (suggesting its been in the pot for awhile)? Does the rootball look cramped? It might be possible to gently lift it out of its pot for further examination. Don't buy any plants with girdled roots (wrapped tightly around themselves). Healthy roots should be light colored in appearance and spread evenly through the rootball. Research shows that once transplanted, trees in smaller containers catch up to to those in larger containers within a few years. Since the trees are similar in size, you can save some money with the smaller tree and buy some other plants to go with it!

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"