fungus - Knowledgebase Question

North Kingstown, Rh
Question by Tenadana
I have a yellow colored fungus in the mulch I bought bagged mulch The fungus starts out yellow then turns brown I did hit the fugus with water when watering there are spores like a brown dust Have any ideas what it is and the cause Thanks Tena

The mold growth is perfectly normal. It occurs when the organic mulch is decomposing. These fungi (Myxomycetes) live on dead organic matter and thrive in moist conditions. You can rake it out and dump it in the trash; especially in the early stages before it spreads its spores. Increasing the air circulation and allowing the mulch to dry out in the sun will help eliminate the stuff. To help stop the growth of mold, just rake any mulch on the soil surface to expose it to air and sunlight. It's perfectly harmless - just revolting to look at!

Today's site banner is by TBGDN and is called "Irises 2017"