Ammending soil - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Michelle Vera
Rohnert Park, Ca
Question by shellvee
I have several raised beds. I just harvested my garlic on one of them and the soil looks horrible. I was hoping to plant squash (like today). What can I do to quickly ammend the soil?

thanks.

0

To improve your soil, incorporate plenty of compost. In sandy soils, compost improves soil fertility, water and nutrient retention. In clay soils, it improves fertility and drainage. Spread a 4-6 inch layer of compost and incorporate it about 12-18 inches deep. You can use manure if it is well-aged (6 months) or you won't be planting until it has lost it's heat and decomposed. Each planting season, add more compost. Incorporate a balanced fertilizer (e.g., 10-10-10) or add organic fertilizers according to package instructions. Good luck with your squash.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Mixed Coleus"