Ammending soil - Knowledgebase Question

Name: Michelle Vera
Rohnert Park, Ca
Question by shellvee
I have several raised beds. I just harvested my garlic on one of them and the soil looks horrible. I was hoping to plant squash (like today). What can I do to quickly ammend the soil?

To improve your soil, incorporate plenty of compost. In sandy soils, compost improves soil fertility, water and nutrient retention. In clay soils, it improves fertility and drainage. Spread a 4-6 inch layer of compost and incorporate it about 12-18 inches deep. You can use manure if it is well-aged (6 months) or you won't be planting until it has lost it's heat and decomposed. Each planting season, add more compost. Incorporate a balanced fertilizer (e.g., 10-10-10) or add organic fertilizers according to package instructions. Good luck with your squash.

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"