Bottle Palm Tree - Knowledgebase Question

New Port Richey, Fl
Question by pthurston111
I love Bottle Palms, and live in zone 9. I cover them with moving blankets when its going to be freezing, but have still lost them to freeze, in our abnormal cold winters the last two years. How can I help prevent this from occurring?

0

When you cover the plants, try to support the blankets on a temporary support (such as stakes) so that no fabric touches them plant. Sometimes that can worsen damage. Let the blankets drop all the way to the ground to capture heat radiating up. Don't tie them around the trunks or the heat escapes. You might want to consider purchasing frost cloth. It's usually rated to protect from 30 to 20 degrees, but check the mfg. specifications first.

Review this publication, which contains complete details on different methods of frost protection. http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/gar...

Good luck!

Today's site banner is by krobra and is called "Lantana Dew Drops"