When to Harvest - Knowledgebase Question

Hampton Bays, Ne
Question by helenehelle
For the first time this year I planted shallots, from bulbs, garlic (from fresh garlic) and yukon gold potatos (from fresh potatos cut in half). They have all sprouted various green shoots. How do I know when to harvest? Thanks!

Harvest shallots anytime when the green tops are ready and you see the bulb. Use your fingers to brush away a bit of soil to see how big the bulb is.

When garlic flower heads develop, cut them off. Toss them in a salad or use them elsewhere as they are edible! This forces more nutrients into the root to develop larger garlic cloves. When foliage begins to turn yellow and dry out later in summer, stop watering. Press any foliage over towards the ground. Let the foliage completely dry out and then dig the garlic. Clean the dirt off completely and let them continue drying if necessary, in a shaded location.

Here's an article on harvesting potatoes from the National Gardening Association: http://www.garden.org/articles...

Enjoy your veggies!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"