Fruit Tree Pests - Knowledgebase Question

Young Harris, Ge
Question by mochapman522
I have peach, plumb, apple and apricot trees. This is their first season of putting out fruit. Most of the fruit is gone or damaged before I can pick it. Is there a way to stop this?

0

Just about the only thing to prevent birds from getting at your fruit is netting, and alas, this isn't always easy with larger trees. It's also a problem when birds get trapped beneath it. There are the old standbys such as hanging aluminum pie pans from the branches, metallic reflective tape, wind chimes, and fake owls. These do work for some folks on some birds, especially if you keep changing and moving them about. It's best to wait until fruit is ripening before installing the flags so the birds don't have a chance to get used to them beforehand. You can also loosely wrap some of the fruit/branches in cheesecloth, paper bags, netting, etc. to ensure you at least get to taste the fruit of your labors. Good luck!

Today's site banner is by Fleur569 and is called "Orchid Cactus "