Groundcovers for Shade in Florida - Knowledgebase Question

Gainesville, Fl
Question by gwinsplace
On the left side of my house, it is very shaded and the soil is primarily sand so nothing grows there. I would like to plant some low groundcover that will fill this area and not look so sandy. I realize good ground cover spreads over time and I am patient. What do you recommend?

That's a difficult growing condition, but here are groundcovers that take shade and are not fussy about soil: Small leaf confederate jasmine (Trachelospermum asiaticum); Cape-weed/lippia matchweed (Phyla nodiflora) is a nectar source for butterflies; lily turf (Liriope muscari), or creeping lilyturf (Liriope spicata) is a spreading form with purple to white flowers that covers faster than the common type; Setcreasea pallida 'Purple Heart' has purple foliage. Also, coontie (Zamia integrifolia) is a native cycad that likes dense shade but will take some sun. It's not a groundcover per se, but might but work to add visual interest. I hope these ideas help!

Today's site banner is by Paul2032 and is called "Iris Dazzling"