Staking Tomato Plants - Knowledgebase Question

West Chester, Pe
Question by bfgrieco
If I planted my tomato plants in late May, is it too late to stake them? If I stake them now, would I be causing any severe damange to the root system?

The plants are very healthy and are about 18 -20 inches high. I live in the southeastern PA region and the growing conditions in Jun have been great.

Staking won't make a difference to your plants, but the lack of staking might make harvesting more difficult. It really depends upon the types of tomatoes you are growing. There are determinate types which grow to a certain height and then flower and develop fruit, usually all at once. There are indeterminate types which tend to keep growing, flowering and producing fruit all summer long. Indeterminate type tomato plants can reach 6' tall with an equal width so they will sprawl all over one another if they aren't staked. But, they will still flower and fruit so the biggest challenge for you will be to find and harvest the ripe fruit hiding in among the foliage. Having said all that, you should still be able to stake now. Roots have probably spread outwards about an equal distance to the height of the plant, so just try to avoid the major root area. Good luck with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by wildflowers and is called "Japanese Spirea"