tomato pest control - Knowledgebase Question

San Diego, Ca
Question by dobson2
I live in San Diego. My tomato plants are being attacked by an unknown pest. I have put out snail bait. I have put bird netting over the plants. the attack starts as a small hole or

I bet that tomato pest is hornworm which is the larvae of a large moth. These caterpillars are large, and the same color as a tomato stem, so they're sometimes difficult to see - until they start munching away at the foliage and fruit. Look along stems and underneath leaves. The easiest way to spot them is to look for little black pellets of their frass (bug poop). They are usually close by. If you find any, tomato hornworms are the culprits. The botanical Bt (sold as Dipel) will take care of the critters, or you they are easy to handpick once you spot them. Best wishes with your tomatoes!

Today's site banner is by Marilyn and is called "Dan Bachman 2006 seedlings"