Mountain Laurels dying... SW exposure along house - Knowledgebase Question

Marietta, Ge
Question by happygal
I cannot tell why certain branches of all my Mountain Laurel bushes (now over 20 yrs old) are dying? Drought would affect the entire shrub, so I'm discounting that as an issue. Any ideas? I don't see any critters, but I do see leaves start to yellow and then the entire branch dies. THANKS for your solutions!

I tend to agree with you - droughty conditions would make the plant look unhealthy overall. However, dead roots would affect only parts of the plant. Roots can die from drought or from soggy soils. Mountain laurel doesn't have any specific disease problems but a 20 year old plant may simple be aging and not very gracefully. I'd prune out the dead branches and wait to see if new growth is produced. If so, the problem was environmental, cultural or a disease. If not, the root system is compromised in some wait. I hope you figure out what's causing the problem!

Today's site banner is by dirtdorphins and is called "prickly pads"