plant marching toward my lawn - Knowledgebase Question

matteson, Il
Question by currin8jon
heart shaped plant moving toward my lawn from my neighbor. low growing and appears to have tiny violet flower when flowering -- is this a weed or vine? Any way to kill/stop it before it marches across my yard?
J - Chicago area

Wild violets are really difficult to control because they grow from underground bulbs which store lots of energy for regrowth if the tops of the plants are mowed down. You can try mowing your lawn low to keep the violets from developing leaves but I've found the only way to remove these pesty weeds is to dig them out, roots and all. You can try painting the tops of the plants with Round Up but this will kill only the tops, not the bulbs so repeat applications will be necessary. Of course if you get Round Up on your turf, it will kill the turf as well. Wish there were an easier solution, but digging them up, bulbs and all, is the only way to eliminate wild violets. Here's a link to details on digging them up effectively: Good luck!

Today's site banner is by sunnyvalley and is called "Rose"