Shasta Daisy - Knowledgebase Question

e providence, Rh
Question by rosie77a
I planted them 5 years ago they are beautiful - but I do not get any flowers till late Sept - early Oct. then the frost kills them - I don't understand this as I see many places with flowers in the summer months???

0

Shasta daisies need full sun (8 ours daily) and well-drained soil to bloom their best. Perennials may benefit from dividing every 3 to 4 years to reinvigorate. You might try that to see if it makes a difference. But if they've always bloomed late, it could be that is their genetic programming. There are many varieties of Shasta daisy. If you know anyone with daisies that bloom for a longer period, ask if you can have a clump next time they divide. Here's info on soil prep if you divide yours.

Planting Instructions
Plant in spring, spacing plants 1 to 2 feet apart, depending on the variety. Prepare the garden bed by using a garden fork or tiller to loosen the soil to a depth of 12 to 15 inches, then mix in a 2- to 4-inch layer of compost. Dig a hole twice the diameter of the root ball. Plant so the top of the rootball is level with the soil surface. Carefully fill in around the root ball and firm the soil gently. Water thoroughly.

Care
Apply a thin layer of compost each spring, followed by a 2-inch layer of mulch to retain moisture and control weeds. Water plants during the summer if rainfall is less than 1 inch per week. After the first killing frost, cut stems back to an inch or two above soil line. Divide plants every 3 to 4 years as new growth begins in the spring, lifting plants and dividing them into clumps.

Today's site banner is by plantmanager and is called "Spinystar (Escobaria vivipara)"